• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to see who's in your files?

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a design team who builds magazines, we were previously working on a local server but are looking to switch to creative cloud as it's faster for home working. The way we work is we share one set of indesign files (one for each magazine page) and folders saved on the server containing image links (not packaged, as they are edited and updated daily). Each designer or writer takes their turn working on the page.

The issue we're having is that unlike on a local server, there's no way to see when someone else already has the indesign file open. This could lead to sync errors if multiple people open the file at the same time.

Now yes we could comunicate with each other and check to see if a file is open, but when you're just opening it for a second to update a link it's easy to forget, not to mention it's tideous to have to track down every team mate multiple times a day to check they haven't got a file open. Is there a work around for this? I get notifcations when someone joins my library or my CC file, but not when someone actually has one of my indesign files open - perhaps this could be implemnted into future updates? It would be a great help with collaborative work.

I had hoped that Mac coloured tags might sync across, so at least then we could use a coloured dot system to mark open files, but unfortunately the tags seem to be local and not viewable by other users.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Now yes we could comunicate with each other and check to see if a file is open

For collaborative cloud sync’ing you have to have a communication system that works. Lock files do not sync with cloud collaborations. 

This thread might help, there’s a scripting idea for creating pseudo lock files from @Kasyan Servetsky 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/idlk-files-over-cloud-storage/td-p/11307839?page=2

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you using a team or enterprise subscription?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've got a team subscription

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Team Projects operations, if someone has a project open, their user name shows by the project in the Project panel.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, please could you send me a screenshot? I can't find the projects section

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, realized you said you're in InDesign ... Team Projects is for Premiere Pro.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now yes we could comunicate with each other and check to see if a file is open

For collaborative cloud sync’ing you have to have a communication system that works. Lock files do not sync with cloud collaborations. 

This thread might help, there’s a scripting idea for creating pseudo lock files from @Kasyan Servetsky 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/idlk-files-over-cloud-storage/td-p/11307839?page=2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines