Highlighted

How to set my document in InDesign to default to one column

Participant ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need some help in trying to solve an issue with my InDesign document.
I have a large document that I continually work on.

When I create a new text frame in the document, it defaults to 2 columns.
I have searched high and low to see where I can set the default to 1 column but can’t find if there is a way to do this. I don’t want have to go to the panel each time I create a new text block to change it from 2 column to 1 column.
I have all my master pages in the document set to Columns 1. Yet I still get 2 columns when I add a new text block.
How can I change it so that it defaults to 1 column?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by David_Popham | Adobe Community Professional

Deselect everything (Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + A), then go to Object > Text Frame Options. Set the number of columns to 1 and click OK.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to set my document in InDesign to default to one column

Participant ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need some help in trying to solve an issue with my InDesign document.
I have a large document that I continually work on.

When I create a new text frame in the document, it defaults to 2 columns.
I have searched high and low to see where I can set the default to 1 column but can’t find if there is a way to do this. I don’t want have to go to the panel each time I create a new text block to change it from 2 column to 1 column.
I have all my master pages in the document set to Columns 1. Yet I still get 2 columns when I add a new text block.
How can I change it so that it defaults to 1 column?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by David_Popham | Adobe Community Professional

Deselect everything (Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + A), then go to Object > Text Frame Options. Set the number of columns to 1 and click OK.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Attroll LATEST
Participant ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you David that fixed it.

This has been driving me creazy for years.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @David_Popham has already mentioned, deselecting everything within your document and making that preference change will create a new default for that particular document. If you want to change the default for InDesign for all new documents, make the same preference change with no documents open.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This technique, i.e., deselecting everything, then applying a setting, applies not only to text frames but to styles, swatches, line widths, etc. It can be used to your advantage, when you know how to make it work for you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines