• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set up InDesign Print File for Horizontal document that binds at the top?

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to set up InDesign Print File for Horizontal document that binds at the top?  (think of a small Calendar!)  It is currently set up with out Facing Pages - 20 pages total.  Finished size is 8.5 long by 5.5 tall with TOP BINDING.  Full print press, not digital. 

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set it up like a normal side-bound booklet, then use View > Rotate Spread to set your editing-view orientation with the binding at the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all of the pages in the Pages panel and:

spine.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method causes a problem with the baseline grid alignment, so I cannot recommend it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method causes a problem with the baseline grid alignment,

Is that a bug? Can you share an example? I'm not seeing it in 2014.

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 3.06.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 3.10.05 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s what I mean, if you have a horizontal spine and you turn the document, the baseline grid is turned and not horizontal anymore, as it would be in my method. No one will want to work with a vertical baseline grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I see what you mean.

You might not need baseline alignment—it's not too hard to align baselines via consistent leading and space before and after amounts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might not need baseline alignment—

True. I imagine there could be applications where both top binding and baseline grid are required or preferred, but I've never had one on my desk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True. I imagine there could be applications where both top binding and baseline grid are required or preferred, but I've never had one on my desk.....

(think of a small Calendar!)

I can't think of any reason to need a baseline grid—the point of a baseline grid would be to match baselines across a spread and that couldn't happen in a top binding scenario could it?

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 7.55.10 PM.png.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the point of a baseline grid would be to match baselines across a spread

or across a multi-column page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or across a multi-column page.

Right, but that could easily be accomplished using the proper leading and before/after paragraph settings. Seems hardly worth jumping through lots of hoops to avoid a feature designed for calendar making.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note, John's referring to View>Rotate Spread, which does the same as the Page panel's flyout menu. In both cases you have to select all of the pages in the Pages panel if you want them all to rotate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either way, that's a cool workaround. Thanks Willi!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see this available anymore, can you please re-share?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to the original question, it's actually pretty easy to set up a horizontal page InDesign publication that binds along the top/long edge. I do this with all my training documentation, and it works pretty well. The trick is to set it up with unique master pages, rather than trying to figure out how to set it up from the start in the Document Setup dialog box.

Using my InDesign Long Documentation course book as an example -- Letter-landscape with two columns, and half-inch margins left, right and outside from the binding; three-quarters of an inch for the saddle -- I created a document with a document setup of a Page size: of Letter, clicked half-inch margins all around. Then I clicked the OK button.

After opening the document, I opened the Pages panel and selected the New Master... command from the flyaway menu option, naming it Document Master Top, and proceeded to place master page items on it, like the example below:

Template Page-Top.jpg

After framing the margin area with ruler guides and defining the vertical center between columns, I placed a horizontal ruler guide across the bottom of the page, three-quarters of an inch from the bottom. Then I started placing borders, page numbers and type for the copyright information between the bottom border and the existing bottom margin, as indicated by the cursor above.

Then I duplicated the Document Master Top master page and named the duplicate Document Master Bottom. I dropped a horizontal ruler guide three-quarters of an inch from the top, then used the keyboard shortcut Ctrl/Cmd+A to select all and line the bottom border against the bottom margin, lining up the top border with my new ruler guide three-quarters of an inch from the top. I moved the copyright line above the top border in the extra space as indicated below:

Template Page-Bottom.jpg

I also added a running subhed for the section title, as shown above, between my bottom margin and the guide I placed on the first master page.

Since I wanted to manually place text on each page, I could live with margins set as they were. If you want to autoflow text page by page, you can choose to adjust the margins after designing the master pages by selecting the Layout>Margins and Columns... menu command and setting them to fit like the example in the dialog box shown below:

Margin-columns bottom.jpg

In my case, because each page would have a header above the copy, the top margin changed to one and a half inches for the bottom master page. It would've been one and a quarter inches for the top master page.

Hope this helps ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Willi, your link is no longer available. Could  you please relink?

thanks! S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link to the workshop is no longer functioning, so I sort of feel like this has been un-solved...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did work for me was to create the pages as regular horizontal spreads and rotate the view (see https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/96896/indesign-horizontal-to-vertical-spread).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes indeed it has been "unsolved". Can you please repost the link? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines