• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to setup master pages with bleed in InDesign?

Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, I need to be able to set up InDesign master pages but be able to give the masters a bleed on the spines on a facing page document. Printer needs spine bleeds and have a big 150 page book so want to set up correctly before I start.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

he says he needs as singles, crops and bleed

That’s what you’ll get if you export a facing page doc with these settings:

Screen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With perfect binding the signatures get folded on the spine edge, not trimmed. If you provide an inside bleed it would have to be removed when the pages are imposed. Page 2 of the signature would be joined with page 7 on their trim edges and the 2-7 spread would be folded on the spine mark. There might be some allowance for creep, but by definition that amount would be hidden in the binding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use two different printers. One said is ok, the other wants the bleed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both will have to impose so just provide the facing page inside bleed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m sure the printer asking for the inside bleed understands the bleed content would come from the opposite reader page of the spread. That is expected behavior with facing page documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure, but they just said they needed the bleed.... I guess it would depend what machine they are using and how they are imposing but lol I stay away from that and let them do prepress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is the imposition is automated and they want consistency in the page dimensions. But why not submit the PDF with the normal InDesign facing page bleeds and ask if there’s a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

he says he needs as singles, crops and bleeds

from there that is his department and prefer to try to make it easier for him so there are no mistakes. I think either one of the solutions above will work. 

Think in the end I will do facing pages, single master pages called L and R so I don't confuse them! Then have them butted next to each other in page layout. Just prior to print I will separate with allow shuffle and then pull out bleed on the master pages and pdf with crops and bleeds as single pages.

thank you all so much.

now to the next question in new topic re captions!  really appreciate everyones input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

he says he needs as singles, crops and bleed

That’s what you’ll get if you export a facing page doc with these settings:

Screen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep those settings will do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines