Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to split up a text column

Dec 02, 2010 Dec 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you start reading: This is an EXTREMELY SIMPLE QUESTION, but it seems to be difficult for me to explain what I mean.

I have a text column and I need to split it up into two text columns so that the text still flows between the two parts.

But I am sleepy and cannot remember how I split it up.

Any help?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this is exactly what Niels was trying to do. I was searching forums about the same question. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This is why I came here. I'm lucky to have had this problem almost 7 years after the original question as it was only answered a few months ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I joined the forum just to thank you...and I understood the question perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally understand your question Niels Graverholt, i justut got the same question, what i found out is that Indesign seens pretty dumn at dealing this kind of thing, but there's a very easy work around of it, u just simply adjust the size of your frame to the one you like to be on your destinated left side, then you would see the plus sign, then just place the curser to the margin of another guide or column and click to fill up the rest of the text in the original frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Deleted User I understand your question perfectly cause i'm having the same issue. Doesn't seem like anyone has answered it, or understands it? 

I have a catalog and very small text is spanning across the center fold. I want to separate the text into 2 columns, but have the text still read from left to right, top to bottom, across both columns. So that when you're reading the first line of copy, you are actually reading from the top of column 1 and continue to read to the top of column 2, the to the second line of column 1, and on to the second line of column two, etc.

Any help would be great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1. Right-click Text Box

2. Select Text Box Options

3. Enter desired number of columns.

Tips: Press Enter on the number pad to insert a column break, or use the Span Columns option in the Paragraph Menu for the heading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines