• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to tell if an indesign file is open by another user when using the cloud storage?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are 2 users working remotely on 1 indesign file, a designer (myself) and an editor. We use incopy for setting up stories. All files are stored on the cloud, but we are new to creative cloud. We do not need to be in the file simultaneously, we need to alternate. I cannot even find this subject anywhere, but it must be a common problem?

The main question is: How to tell if the other user has the file open to prevent overwrites, conflicted copies? Currently we have to message the other person and ask if the file is open, which is causing issues and is very inconvenient. When we were working in the same office, on the same inhouse network, we could tell because we both could see the .idlk locked file if it was open.

Also, can we store copies of our files locally on our hard drives that update along with the cloud versions?

Thank you

TOPICS
Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Also, can we store copies of our files locally on our hard drives that update along with the cloud versions?

To sync to your cloud account and collaborate with other CC users, all ID files and their placed assets have to be stored in your local Creative Cloud Files folder, which by default is created in your computer’s user folder. Any files stored in that folder get sync’d to the Adobe cloud server and to any collaborator’s Creative Cloud Files folders after every modification.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If more than one person is going to be using the InDesign file through InDesign, I strongly suggest making a phone call to the other user and letting them know when it's being worked on.

Finally, I would recommend switching your workflow to Onedrive or Dropbox for this. The InCopy locks definitely work through OneDrive in my testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To sync to your cloud account and collaborate with other CC users, all ID files and their placed assets have to be stored in your local Creative Cloud Files folder, which by default is created in your computer’s user folder. Any files stored in that folder get sync’d to the Adobe cloud server and to any collaborator’s Creative Cloud Files folders after every modification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is good to know. Thanks Rob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines