Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to translate reference in Index?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

I created an Index for my document in InDesign in German. There are lots of references with "siehe" (EN:"see"). I sent the document to the translator but the "siehe" (EN:"see") was not translated.

I tried to find any option how to change "siehe" to "see" for all references, like in a style but I cannot find. Of course I can switch every reference manually to a user defined reference and enter "see" there. But that is of course not a useful option.

I would very appreciate your help.

Thank you

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

"Not a convincing solution" is quite an understatement. You could use a script to make those changes, but that's still looking for a solution that shouldn't be necessary. Yet another example where InDesign's index so-called feature is usable only in conjunction with a lot of scripts.

The trouble is that the index was added to InDesign about 15 years ago but it was never changed, despite numerous feature requests, bug reports, and white-papers. Please add your voice to the crowd on User Voice (https://indesign.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason you cannot use Edit > Find / Change to search for "siehe" and replace with "see"? What happens when you try?

(Apologies for answering three days later.)

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning,

thank`s for answering. If there is no other solution this is what I would need to do. It works. But in my eyes this is not a convincing solution. Everytime I need to update the index and after any translation update I would have to manually find and replace those words. In every of the ~50 documents we are working on. 

If there is no other solution Adobe should definitely consider to add this...I really cannot understand. I am able to choose different options for index references in German. Is it predefined only because I have a German installation? Why can these not be translated?

Thank`s again.

Holger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Not a convincing solution" is quite an understatement. You could use a script to make those changes, but that's still looking for a solution that shouldn't be necessary. Yet another example where InDesign's index so-called feature is usable only in conjunction with a lot of scripts.

The trouble is that the index was added to InDesign about 15 years ago but it was never changed, despite numerous feature requests, bug reports, and white-papers. Please add your voice to the crowd on User Voice (https://indesign.uservoice.com) and request that the content of 'see' and 'see also' cross-reference markers can be customised.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning, 

thank you for your explanation. That`s not good news. 

Holger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you “update” an index, what do you do? 1 click!

So, just do this click running a simplistic script that updates the index and plays this simplistic Find/Replace! ...

No need to wait for years from Adobe for such a simplistic and relevant solution.

That’s the good news!  😉

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines