Idealy via script.

Thanks

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

I'm confused as to why this is a scripting question. When you set up a TOC correctly, updating the page numbers without losing formatting is automatic. You have control over everything in the Table of Contents dialog box—it's really powerful. For details, see https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creating-table-contents.html.

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 8.37.36 AM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layout > Update Table of Contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused as to why this is a scripting question. When you set up a TOC correctly, updating the page numbers without losing formatting is automatic. You have control over everything in the Table of Contents dialog box—it's really powerful. For details, see https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creating-table-contents.html.

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 8.37.36 AM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workflow in my company is not 100% and after creating toc workers make formating by hand...yea, stupid i know..this is reason why i need way to update only page numbers in toc. We use scripts for some tasks and this will be good update for some of this sripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Workflow in my company is not 100% and after creating toc workers make formating by hand...yea, stupid i know."

You do have the option of creating proper TOC styles using selections from the manually formatted TOC, then regenerating. Might take about 3 minutes. That way you accomplish the update, and facilitate clean ones going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a situation where you just need to educate your co-workers on how to work with a TOC correctly in InDesign. Specifically, let them know that edits are made to the source files and then the TOC is updated to reflect those edits with the current page numbers. 

What you are asking for is part of InDesign's out-of-the-box feature set. I'm sure you can hire someone to write a custom script for you, but why pay a programmer to write a script for a feature that is already included with the software? 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatively, generate your ToC once and then replace all page numbers with crossreferences. See https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/cross-references.html

Edits in the text won't update the ToC anymore but text reflows will update the page numbers totally automatic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please explain step by step? 
As I'm not managing to find it in the guide.
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey kajzica, I know this is a super old thread, but I believe I found a way to accomplish what you're asking for WITHOUT the use of a Script. With the text frame active and a portion of text selected, right click and choose Interactive > Insert Cross Reference...

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 9.53.48 AM.png

Reference this screenshot for the next steps:

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 9.56.06 AM.png

1) Search for the text paragraph in your document that you'd like this cross reference to link to. In my case, Wendy is the writer, and her name appears on the opening spread of her article. So I searched for her name and selected the correct paragraph (her name appears in multiple places in the document, so I had to make sure I selected the correct paragraph. As you can see, the currently selected instance of her name occurs on page 3, hence, the cross reference linked to page 3.)

2) Select the format that you want the cross reference to display. For page numbers, simply select "Page Number" from the "Cross-Reference Format" drop down menu.

Done.

Now the page number is linked to whatever page the anchored text paragraph is moved to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines