Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use arabic in InDesign CC2020

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dear community,

i want to create an ad with arabic copy but i cant get my head around it.

i am using adobe indesign cc 2019 on a mac (macos catalina, 10.15.1).  

thanks for reply.

best beovita

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Hi Beovita,

Thanks for reaching out. I'd recommend checking out help article https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/access-install-hebrew-arabic-indesign-illustrator-CC.html to know how you can use the MENA (Middle east and North African languages) editions.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Please continue to ask, there is no wrong question here.

This is a video I made earlier that simplify 4 tasks you ought to take in order to type Arabic properly. Same 4 steps apply in your case when you will copy text from MS. Word then paste into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Beovita,

Thanks for reaching out. I'd recommend checking out help article https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/access-install-hebrew-arabic-indesign-illustrator-CC.html to know how you can use the MENA (Middle east and North African languages) editions.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your reply.

i followed your instruction. is there anything els i have to do? because its still wrong in my opinion. i am copying a copy from word (in arabic) and paste it to the file. but it shows it diffently (pls take a look to the screenshot).original version in wordoriginal version in wordmy version when i copy it to indesignmy version when i copy it to indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know more about your requirements so we can assist you, as I'm not sure your concern is technical or language?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your reply.

well, i am not able to manage in my indesign program to create an ad in arabic. do you know what i mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to either remove your existing InDesign copy and reinstall another copy that supports Arabic, or you may have another copy of InDesign alongside the existing one. I believe that your copy of InDesign doesn't support Arabic yet, to verify this, just check whether you have a "ME Type tool" as shown below, if not then your InDesign lacks proper Arabic support.

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 2.06.00 PM.png

Here is the way to add another version of InDesign so you end up with two copies, one of which supports Arabic…

Open your Adobe CC desktop application

1- Click on the Preferences gear shape icon on top right

2- Click on Apps in left pane

3- Choose English يدعم العربية then click "Done" button

1_add-language.jpg

4- Click on the three ellipses at the bottom right corner of InDesign icon, choose "Other versions", select an older version from the list and start downloading.

2_add-language.jpg

Eventually, you will end up with two InDesign copies, an old copy that supports Arabic, and the latest copy that you use for daily non-Arabic jobs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your great reply.

I've now two version like you said. in my latest indesign program, I've set it English arabic and I also have the ME Type Tool. I am behaving a bit supid I guess. But how do I use it now? Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-13 um 14.23.40.pngBildschirmfoto 2020-02-13 um 14.24.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please continue to ask, there is no wrong question here.

This is a video I made earlier that simplify 4 tasks you ought to take in order to type Arabic properly. Same 4 steps apply in your case when you will copy text from MS. Word then paste into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

perfect, now it's working 🙂 thanks a lot 🙌🏼

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. You can refer to this help article for more information on using Arabic Features in InDesign: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/arabic-hebrew.html

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I dont have the preferences gear? Is there another way of getting to it?

I am really struggling with this issue of not being compatible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines