• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How would you select part of a letter/font and change the colour of it ??

Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2013 Dec 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for example i want to selct the the letter 'b' and just want to change the colour of the ascender' ( the top half of the b) how could i do this on INDESIGN

like this

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type > Create Outlines. Then use the Direct Selection tool, Pen tool, etc. to modify the paths so they can be colored.

Illustrator is better suited to this kind of task because it has more tools and commands to work with paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah i know - But i can only use indesign for this project is there a way i can replicate the job on top ^^^^^ but only using indesgn.

I dont have illustrator yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are a few tips to get started:

(1) When you create outlines, hold down the Option/Alt key when you choose Type > Create Outlines. That will make a copy of the outlines which isn't anchored in the text frame. Move that copy away from the original frame.

(2) Select all the word with the Direct Selection tool and choose Object > Path > Release Compound Path. That will separate the letters from each other so you can work with them (it also fills in the counters (centers) of the letters).

(3) To create the effect on the "T," I selected the letter with the Direct Selection tool (selecting all the anchor points) and chose File > Copy, then chose Edit > Paste in Place to make a copy on top.

(4) I moved the top copy a little (Shift + Up Arrow) so I could select the bottom copy, then I locked the bottom copy (Object > Lock). I moved the top copy back (Shift + Down Arrow).

(5) With the Direct Selection tool, I selected the lower anchor points and deleted them. I filled the top anchor points with blue. Here is how far I got:

InDesign002.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd add

6) Don't let Steve do you homework for you Go and read the help file entries on all the things that Steve typed in Initial Caps, (Release Compound Path, Direct Select, et cetera) so that you know what is going on and are actually learning about the project in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, Joel. It's not an easy project, but it would provide a good way to learn to work with path tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be tempted to copy the text, and put the copy on top of the original and convert to outlines, then you can cut that up with the scissor tool and throw away the parts you don't want to color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shoo: there is a much easier way...

1. leave the text dont convert.

2. Copy the text frame

3. use the pen tool and draw a closed path where you want the "cut" or diferent colour to show

4. Right click *on the selected path u just drew and paste into.

5. then change the colour of the text

forEG1.jpg

and to show the boxes

forEG2.jpg

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Grant,

That works for that simple case, but it wouldn't work in the example the poster displayed. Different parts of the letterforms are being colored, each letter is done differently. That requires a more complex approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Steve, why would that be a problem, create a compound path:

forEG3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2014 Jan 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa !!

thanks for the feedback all of U  ! Gonna put it to the test sometime this week !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2014 Jan 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can u expalin this again.

Its not working on mine. I got Indesign cs6.

I havent used indesign before either, or not for something as complex as this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years later, I found this solution and am having a lot of fun with it. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2014 Jan 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks it worked reall well - although it was quite fiddly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only seem to be changing the background of the letter now the letter itself.Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 2.51.08 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Joanne32134414csof,

Thank you for reaching out. Have you tried the suggestions shared above? If it still doesn't work, please share a small video of the workflow. We'll try our best to assist you. 

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines