Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlink to page jumps to bottom of page in interactive .pdf

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Pretty straightforward as the post suggests - I'm using a hyperlink in a document to jump to different pages in the document. The pages are long vertical pages, and when I output the file to interactive .pdf and click the hyperlink, it jumps to the bottom of the page, as opposed to the top as you would typically want it to do. I have the fit settings to "fit width" for viewing, but have tried other settings to no avail. I'm wondering if this is just a bug in InDesign, where it's setup to anchor to the bottom of the page, or if there is something I'm missing in order to make it jump to the top of the page? Any comments are appreciated, thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

So it seems that the workaround for this is to set a text box as a "Hyperlink Destination" (I just made a box of text at the top of the pages I want to jump to and made the text transparent, as it seems that there needs to be text in the box for it to work). Then, instead of hyperlinking to the page, you hyperlink to the text anchor - so now it's jumping to the top of the page in the .pdf as intended, with fit width and single page set. Still would like to see the default anchor for interactive

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Fit Height, and Single Page Continuous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, this does not help me in this situation, as I want the pages to fit to width. For more context, this is a rather long web page concept design, so I want the viewer to scroll through it. If I display it to height, the graphics etc. will be too small to view. Also, I have a title page that displays the buttons that are hyperlinking to the other pages, so I'd prefer to have it set to Single Page so the other pages aren't revealed until the user interacts with the button. Hope that makes sense, any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using the wrong tool for this.

XD would be a better bet, but my go to tool for website mockups is the back of a napkin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think to create a simple landing page concept it's acceptable to use whatever tool you're comfortable with. XD has a lot of limitations right now (no hover state!), so if I were going to make a working prototype I'd probably use Figma or something better. Nonetheless, it's beside the point of the issue at hand, which is the issue of hyperlinks in interactive documents anchoring to the bottom of the page in a fit width scenario - doesn't matter what I'm using it for. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to use bookmarks anchor to set hiperlink

Use also Derek suggestion - be sure your document allows to display contious pages

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See response to Derek's suggestion - I don't want to use continuous or fit to height, so neither of those are valid solutions. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "use bookmarks anchor to set hyperlink?" Not sure what to do with that, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So it seems that the workaround for this is to set a text box as a "Hyperlink Destination" (I just made a box of text at the top of the pages I want to jump to and made the text transparent, as it seems that there needs to be text in the box for it to work). Then, instead of hyperlinking to the page, you hyperlink to the text anchor - so now it's jumping to the top of the page in the .pdf as intended, with fit width and single page set. Still would like to see the default anchor for interactive .pdfs be the top of the page as opposed to the bottom if that is indeed the case. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines