Hyperlinks in Epub

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an amateur at using InDesign but have worked with a publisher to create an enhance eTextbook. The publisher uses CoreSource to export and format the InDesign into an epub3. Becuase of the enhanced interactive features the ebook only works in the Virtual Source Bookshelf app. In the Apple version of the app, when you click on a link to an external URL, you are automatically taken out of Bookshelf to view the webpage or web-based pdf in a browser (this is the way it should function). But in the PC and Android versions, clicking on the same link only works this way sometimes. More often, the link tries to bring up the webpage inside of Bookshelf, but the view is tiny and the webpage doesn't function properly (e.g., you can't even scroll down).

My hunch is that this is mainly an issue with the CoreSource conversion process or app. But I am wondering if there is a way within the InDesign file itself to set a preference for each link, similar to setting a preference for a link in a pdf to open a link in a new window or tab.

I welcome any direction someone might be able to give.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Hyperlinks in Epub

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an amateur at using InDesign but have worked with a publisher to create an enhance eTextbook. The publisher uses CoreSource to export and format the InDesign into an epub3. Becuase of the enhanced interactive features the ebook only works in the Virtual Source Bookshelf app. In the Apple version of the app, when you click on a link to an external URL, you are automatically taken out of Bookshelf to view the webpage or web-based pdf in a browser (this is the way it should function). But in the PC and Android versions, clicking on the same link only works this way sometimes. More often, the link tries to bring up the webpage inside of Bookshelf, but the view is tiny and the webpage doesn't function properly (e.g., you can't even scroll down).

My hunch is that this is mainly an issue with the CoreSource conversion process or app. But I am wondering if there is a way within the InDesign file itself to set a preference for each link, similar to setting a preference for a link in a pdf to open a link in a new window or tab.

I welcome any direction someone might be able to give.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 30, 2020 0

Have something to add?