Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlinks missing when InDesign file is opened on another Mac

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help required with Hyperlinks

I created an indesign document with about 100 hyperlinks (all links were to url addresses), all links were flowed into InDesign for a word file and all links were active, as indicated by the green light on the hyperlink panel.

When the InDesign file was packaged and moved to another Mac, the hyperlinks are shown as missing and indicated with the red light on the hyperlnk panel.

Have also tried to save the file as an .idml file and get the same result.

Anyone any ideas???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the other computer have access to these URL destinations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes both computers have internet access,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Indd file or maybe IDML and previous version of InDesign?

pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried both Indd and IDML files, both macs running same version of InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens on the problem computer if you create a new hyperlink to a different web site? If it's OK, what happens if you create a new hyperlink to the problem web site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not accessing the websites, it is InDesign dropping the web address from the hyperlink

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if you create a new link does it show up with green or red?

What exactly do you mean by "InDesign dropping the web address from the hyperlink"? I don't think you've mentioned this before, though I may have missed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Original InDesign Document, when you open up the hyperlinks panel, they all have green lights and also the web address is present.

But when the file is opened on another mac, the green lights are now red (indicating the link is missing) and also the web address is not present, all that is left is "http://"

hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I asked was that you open the document on the problem Mac and make new hyperlinks. Please do the tests I described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making new hyperlinks works fine on the problem mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so link checking is OK on that Mac. That was the key thing I was checking. The links that you create: are they complete web addresses, starting http:// (two slashes) and the full name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they start with http:// also they work with starting just www

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They might seem to work, but I would always use a correct URL. Something starting www is a "relative URL" and can cause you all sorts of pain. Web site designers often make this mistake and the links break once it is live. I don't think that's the issue, but personally I'm all out of ideas now, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, for having a look anyway, really appreciate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this problem. Except my links dissappear on the same Mac. I have one big Indd file that I have 6 different Skill lessons in. When I need to make a workbook with a different combo of skills I Save a copy, then delete the uneeded content. Sometimes this process causes links to dissappear. Other times it is simply opening the same file a new time. They  are the full hyper link (includes the http). I can't figure out what is going wrong....  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever solve this problem?

I'm having a similar issue, but on the same mac. I'm working on monthly magazines, and we need to keep a master up-to-date. So I create hyperlinks on ads etc and then I copy and paste them into the master. They copy across fine. Then I send off the months mag and then open the master to 'save as' to create the next month, and all the hyperlinks have disappeared. The boxes are there, but not the hyperlinks. It's very weird because it appears there until I open the same document later and do a save as. Then both the master and new doc have no links on the boxes. Red dot and just 'http://'. the rest of the URL is missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I had to update a few documents a couple of years old, and I discovered many hyperlinks were replaced with "http://". Now I have to rebuild all missing hyperlinks using the old PDFs. It's a nightmare! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention I'm opening the documents on the same Mac, using the latest versions of InDesign 2022 and macOS Monterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved it on my side. Not sure if it's the same issue others are having. You need to uncheck the 'shared hyperlink destination' option underneath as it links it to that document. If you then move that document to a different folder, it can no longer find the links. If that option is unchecked, it only looks directly at the URL. Very weird but true. So mine was happening when 'saved as' and created new documents from the original, then moved the original to an archive folder, so it could not longer find the shared destination link. It seems to be working perfectly now that I don't have that checked (which, by default, it is checked).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In saying that, if you it is happening in your original, maybe try to move it back to the folder it was when you set up the links. Hopefully the links show again. Then go and uncheck all the shared destination boxes and hopefully all will be well again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As far as I remember, you can see the full destination of where the original files was (but I may be wrong). I know you can when searching for a missing image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines