• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyphens are dropping out from DOCX files on import

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! I am experiencing a major bug. When I import DOCX word files I lose all hyphens. If I copy and paste into InDesign they are there, and if I save the Word file as DOC, I can import it and the hyphens remain. This was discovered when an author used non-breaking hyphens surrounding letters (-d e-h), they completely disappeared. We then realized that it had been occurring in all of the URL citations :( It happens across multiple Word files and InDesign files, so it is not a specific document issue. I am on Mac OS High Sierra with CC 2020. Any ideas would be very appreciated. Thank you!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

I can confirm that non-breaking hyphens drop from a .docx file when imported into InDesign v14 and v15 on my MacBook using Catalina. This is a user-to-user forum so you can log a bug report here:https://indesign.uservoice.com/.

As as work-around, I would use Find/Change in Word to find the non-breaking hyphens and change them to a character you are not using—perhaps an •. Place the file, and then use Find/Change in InDesign to find all the •s and change them to non-breaking hyphens. Or just sa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that non-breaking hyphens drop from a .docx file when imported into InDesign v14 and v15 on my MacBook using Catalina. This is a user-to-user forum so you can log a bug report here:https://indesign.uservoice.com/.

As as work-around, I would use Find/Change in Word to find the non-breaking hyphens and change them to a character you are not using—perhaps an •. Place the file, and then use Find/Change in InDesign to find all the •s and change them to non-breaking hyphens. Or just save the file as a .doc for now.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Barb. Definitely reassuring to hear that it is a known issue, I will report the bug. I appretiate the work around advice too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines