• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can no longer move an object using the mouse

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a complex InDesign document that has several images.  Starting this morning, I can no longer move anything in the document using the mouse.  The only way I can move anything is by using the arrow keys.  Any ideas?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Hi Ken:

So if the mouse is fine, try creating a new InDesign document. Can you move things around in the new file? If so, that points to something being an issue in the InDesign file you are currently working on. You could try working through the troubleshooting steps.

But you called it "complex". Can you elaborate on that? What makes it complex? And if you would like to share a dropbox link publicly in a reply or privately by messaging me directly, I'm happy to take a look. I don't need the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you can select various elements with your mouse but cannot move them? Does the cursor move normally? Or is everything fine but the hold button and move part? If it's a two-button mouse, does the right  button work? 

1. I'd try some compressed air under the mouse buttons and see if that works. Then I 'd try another mouse.

I'd try some

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: tried to revise this previous response but the system won't let me.

If all the other functions are working fine — moving the cursor, right-clicking and getting the context-sensitive menu, etc., I'd focus on a faulty left-side mouse button.

Note to self: Don't try to respond to questions by phone when you're on the train ... sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken:

Can you move objects with the mouse in other applications? For example, can you open a folder window and them move it around your screen by dragging the Title Bar? If you can, then perhaps there is something wrong with the file or with InDesign itself. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, my mouse works fine.  This works fine in other applications and in other InDesign files.  This particular file is the one that is having the trouble.  I will check out the link on "file issues."  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken:

So if the mouse is fine, try creating a new InDesign document. Can you move things around in the new file? If so, that points to something being an issue in the InDesign file you are currently working on. You could try working through the troubleshooting steps.

But you called it "complex". Can you elaborate on that? What makes it complex? And if you would like to share a dropbox link publicly in a reply or privately by messaging me directly, I'm happy to take a look. I don't need the linked files or fonts. Just the page(s) that is (are) giving you trouble.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb -

I recreated the file following the instructions above and that seemed to resolve it.  Very strange though.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's great news, Ken. Glad you are back on track. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines