• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't see open Indesign CC files - URGENT

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday everything was fine. Today I opened indesign (CC 2017) and opened a file to work on and I can't see the file. Indesign says it is open, the panels etc are there but I can't see the file. I went to Creative Cloud and it said I had updates pending, so I updated hoping that might fix it (so I now have CC 2018) but the problem remains. I have restarted my Mac several times. I have tried unplugging my laptop from big monitor but the problem remains. I have tried opening other InDesign files and have the same problem all of them.

Please help as I urgently need to do some work and can't do anything at the moment as I can't see my file.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Hello, have you try this ? to reset the preferences.

1. (Windows) Start InDesign and hold the keys Maj Sh+Ctrl+Alt. click yes
  2. (Mac OS) Start InDesign and hold the keys Maj Sh+Option+Command+Control

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you reverted to more drastic methods, did you try any option in the Window > Arrange menu? It may be as simple as that the window containing your document got moved off-screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Yes I tried the Window - Arrange menu, but it didn't help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped me! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this only happen with a single file, or do you not get to see any file at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, have you try this ? to reset the preferences.

1. (Windows) Start InDesign and hold the keys Maj Sh+Ctrl+Alt. click yes
  2. (Mac OS) Start InDesign and hold the keys Maj Sh+Option+Command+Control

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the Maj key (on apple keyboard) Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift i'm French sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much, that seems to have worked! Why would that have happened in the first place (was before I downloaded the update...)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes it's a manipulation to do for everything in order. Updates are sometimes teasing! !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This helped me too! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I do Arrange - New window for xxxx.indd the file opens in a new window but I can't get the Control panel to view up when I do that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, i encounter with. It happened many times for my 2021 Adobe CC online subscription too, not sure if it has to be done with the OS? . My files don't show up at all, there is no interface window showing up either after I launched the Indesign application. The name was seen under Window though. Even I restarted, tried the Maj keys, didn't help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOUUUUUUUU 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I have the same problem. Just update to design cc 2018 and I can't see my files. I have a mac with high sierra and on the menu "window" I can see the file opened, but it doesn't appear on the screen.

I've tried to hold the keys "Shift+alt+command+control" but it doesn't do anything.

Can you help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again!

Finally, my inDesign is already working.

I don't know really which of your advices did it, but it works now. Thanks to all of you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has to be something I can do besides constantly deleting my preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GUYS! I have the excact same problem, and NOTHING worls... I am desperate. Why doesnt reinstalling the InDesign software work at all? Nothing works for me... 

Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hedda

Which version of InDesign and OS?
How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?

What actions have you taken so far?

"Nothing works" is a bit broad brush, can you explain – any error messages for example, what action seem to cause an issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek

I'm also having this problem. I launch Indesign. It looks like its open. And nothing happens.

InDesign 16.3.2 OS 10.14.6

16GB RAM / 598 spare hard disk

No error messages. Nothing happens - I see "Indesign" in the top nav bar though no tools. I can create a new document - i get a new doc spec window though i never see the document.

i open an old doc - it says its open in the window though i can't see it. Any insight would be appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - i just found this..." UNCHECK Application Frame (Window > Application Frame)"

That worked!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me thansk you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!! This worked for me too!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines