• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have a running footer that doesn't display the full Chapter Title

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a running footer by creating a new text variable that is anchored to the chapter title. I noticed that if I have a chapter title that is breaks to the second line the footer will only display what is in the first line. Is there a fix for that? If I'm in the wrong area, my apologies. This is my first post.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Hi @Brian5FB1:

A forced line break won't cause that problem, but a hard return—which creates two separate paragraphs, each ending with a ¶—will. 

You could replace the first return with a Shift+Enter to force the text after to the next line or you could remove the in-paragraph breaks and enable Balance Ragged Lines for the chapter title paragraph style, which tries to balance a multi-line head.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian,

please post a screenshot of the situation, hidden characters showing, also frame edges.

And your definition of the text variable as well. Thanks.

What's your version of InDesign on what operating system?

To post the screenshots use the forum's feature "Insert Photos".

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Brian5FB1:

A forced line break won't cause that problem, but a hard return—which creates two separate paragraphs, each ending with a ¶—will. 

You could replace the first return with a Shift+Enter to force the text after to the next line or you could remove the in-paragraph breaks and enable Balance Ragged Lines for the chapter title paragraph style, which tries to balance a multi-line head.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian,

a forced line break can create a different problem. See:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/breaks-gets-converted-to-space-characters-in-running-header-...

Two suggestions for a workaround of the issue discussed in the thread I linked to above:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/breaks-gets-converted-to-space-characters-in-running-header-...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your responses. I am such a novice at this haha. But I tried Barb's process and it worked perfectly. Thank you Barb and Laubender again.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are always happy to help, Brian. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines