• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I keep losing my Book window?

Explorer ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems like a really obvious question, but I can't figure it out, and searching for an answer on the forums hasn't given me anything. When I click out of the book panel, it disappears, and I can't find it again without closing ID and then reopening the book. I can dock it in one of my panels, but sometimes it escapes before I can do that. This is my layout:

amyeds_0-1590472602558.png

any idea where it's hiding?

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Explorer , May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

I'm formatting a 200,000 word document. I've found it easiest to save each chapter as its own document and then compile them using the book feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Hi amyeds,

if a book file is open, it should be listed at the bottom of the Window menu, together with all opened InDesign documents.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

It's not you. Windows is designed to operate this way.

Your Book panel is a floating panel describing a separate file than your InDesign document. Since you have your InDesign application window set for full screen, by design the Windows operating system sets it to be displayed to the exception of any other applications on your screen.

While your Book panel isn't a separate application per se, it is considered a different document open within InDesign by Windows and will be put behind your f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

Can you explain why you are using the "Book" feature rather than "File > New > Document"?

(There can be good reasons for doing so but I'm asking in case you don't the difference.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm formatting a 200,000 word document. I've found it easiest to save each chapter as its own document and then compile them using the book feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's indesign CC 2020 on Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A perfect answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi amyeds,

if a book file is open, it should be listed at the bottom of the Window menu, together with all opened InDesign documents.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not you. Windows is designed to operate this way.

Your Book panel is a floating panel describing a separate file than your InDesign document. Since you have your InDesign application window set for full screen, by design the Windows operating system sets it to be displayed to the exception of any other applications on your screen.

While your Book panel isn't a separate application per se, it is considered a different document open within InDesign by Windows and will be put behind your full-screen InDesign application window for your document.

You can fix this by removing the full-screen view and then adjusting the size of the application window to take up your full screen. The effect will be the same, but the complication you're dealing with should no longer be an issue.Laubender's answer here is also worth remembering: like any other InDesign file open in the application, your book file will be listed at the bottom of the Window pull-down menu. So if it's open, your book file is only a couple of clicks away.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Randy and Laubender!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying this approach with no luck - and I need to export a manuscript ASAP.

Not had such a big issue with it before but it seems ridiculous that they've not sorted this issue out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What issue – please explain and include system info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Seonaidh28116063qzep said:
"I've been trying this approach with no luck - and I need to export a manuscript ASAP."

Hi,

are you sure that your book file is not listed at the bottom of the main menu Window?

If not, it's not open anymore. Open it with the File > Open dialog.

If it is listed, perhaps, and I saw this once, the book file window is behind the application frame of the layout window of the active document.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines