Highlighted

I need help to InDesign about invoices to add dates for the payment automatic.

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there everyone,

Well as I typed in the Subject, I'm looking for a solution, that makes it possible to automatic add xx days to the current day of print, like to add a last date for paying an invoice.

Is it possible?

I'm also looking for a way to import specific data from Microsoft Excel or csv-file.

I'm thinking about something like data in a cell like B5 and automatic import it to a textbox or namegiven table?

My last question, any way to do automatic numbering like numbers to tickets? 

I hope some one can help me,

The very best regards.

Jonas Petersen 

TOPICS
Import and export, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

I need help to InDesign about invoices to add dates for the payment automatic.

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there everyone,

Well as I typed in the Subject, I'm looking for a solution, that makes it possible to automatic add xx days to the current day of print, like to add a last date for paying an invoice.

Is it possible?

I'm also looking for a way to import specific data from Microsoft Excel or csv-file.

I'm thinking about something like data in a cell like B5 and automatic import it to a textbox or namegiven table?

I hope some one can help me,

The very best regards.

Jonas Petersen 

TOPICS
Import and export, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 06, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The answer to all three of the above is "yes". The problem then is "how." The first would require a simple script that you can run using a keyboard shortcut (attached for Macintosh). For the second, you need to select Import Options when you choose an Excel file for placing. You can then set the cell range you want to import. The data will come in as a table, but you can convert a table to text. For the third you will need a script. I suggest that if you have a lot of issues you want to automate, learning how to write scripts would be to your advantage. There are plenty of people such as myself who are willing to help you along the way,

set numDays to 30
tell application "Adobe InDesign 2020"
	set selList to selection
	if class of item 1 of selList is insertion point then
		set theInsert to item 1 of selList
		set theStr to my getString(numDays)
		set contents of theInsert to theStr
	end if
end tell

on getString(numDays)
	set d to current date
	set newD to d + (days * 30)
	set myD to day of newD
	set myM to month of newD as string
	set myY to year of newD
	set dStr to " " & myM & " " & myD & ", " & myY
	return dStr
end getString

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cound't get this script to run without an error on line one.

This would be exactly what I would be looking for.... to create a future date. 

I found that a text variable works on current date(todays date) on output to pdf, but indesign doesn't like more than text variable epsecially one that set a futrue date.

Ideally, a script would be simple, but I am no coder. or a text variable?

Indesign crashes out when you import a XLS file with a forumlar to had this kind of request.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the end game here? Are you creating invoices with InDesign?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

automatic add xx days to the current day of print, like to add a last date for paying an invoice.

Is it possible?

Can you just add text that says <<Todays Date>> "payable within x days"?

https://www.bookdesignmadesimple.com/import-from-excel-into-indesign/

https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/create-numbered-tickets-the-easy-way-in-indesign--vector-1863

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you just add text that says <<Todays Date>> "payable within x days"?

This looks sloppy an unprofessional. Also you are open to be misinterpreted.

https://www.bookdesignmadesimple.com/import-from-excel-into-indesign/

Works but indesign crashes alot with this import method. Currently in 2020 version.

https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/create-numbered-tickets-the-easy-way-in-indesign--vector-1863

If you are creating tickets then this works great, but I have not found a workable solution to importing unique numbers like invoices. Indesign is not very good at a standalone automatic invoices.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 0