• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

★ I want to arrange text on the left and right. How can I do that? 【左侧竖排文字,怎么实现?】★

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to arrange text on the left and right. How can I do that? 

(左侧竖排文字,怎么实现?)

1.jpg

111.jpg

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , How to , Import and export , InCopy workflow , Performance , Print , Publish online , Scripting , SDK , Sync and storage , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I understand your question you are need to install InDesign with supporting of text writing in both directions (Hebrew and/or Arabic) and then you can copy from Europe language style and paste to Hebrew style for changing text direction. 

But, as I see - you're use it some Asian language too in post, may be you're need some your Asian version for such things.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George,

because the reading direction for Japanese ( and I suppose also for Chinese ) vertical text is from right-to-left the Chinese or Japanese version of InDesign cannot change the direction of lines to left-to-right. One needed a Japanese Paragraph Composer that could combine features of the Adobe World-Ready Composer.

In my post above below I faked this with the Adobe World-Ready Composer, but as you can see the alignment of characters is a catastrophy.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

EDITED

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I use the Chinese version of InDesign 2020. Some ancient books and historical materials are arranged from left to left, so this function is very important for Chinese! I think it's not hard for Adobe programmers to implement this function, but it hasn't been. It's really a pity!

I hope the next version will be available.

Thank you very much!8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

756.png

Thank you! I use the Chinese version of InDesign 2020. Some ancient books and historical materials are arranged from left to left, so this function is very important for Chinese! I think it's not hard for Adobe programmers to implement this function, but it hasn't been. It's really a pity!

I hope the next version will be available.

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ZHZ2,

for what kind of text would you like to do this?

Is it Japanese only? English only? A mix of Japanese and English? Something else?

Note: If you want to do this with a regular text frame with e.g. an English version of InDesign you can do it, but the typography would be looking awful:

Vertical-Left-to-Right vs Right-to-Left.PNG

On the left: Character rotation used, character direction changed, paragraph composer is Adobe World-Ready Composer.

Text frame rotated to 90°.

On the right: Character rotation used with Japanese Paragraph Composer.

Text frame rotated to -90°.

So you better do it with several text frames threaded. One text frame for each line of text:

Vertical-Left-to-Right-SeveralTextFramesThreaded.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'm using the Chinese version 2020. InDesign has no function of typesetting for the left side. I hope the next version will have it. Thank you very much! 756.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your multi text box method is the best one you can find now. Thank you very much!8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, then I would do a feature request at:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Explain your use case with ancient Chinese books and material; other cases as well.

Best link to this thread here.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines