Highlighted

ID 2020 Master Pages update propagation -- didn't work.

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To iterate drafts of a tech document, I started by creating a basic "master" Master Page with "Draft 1.0" in a text box. I then based additional, varied Master Pages on that one. And then I put the document together, using those Masters.

When I saved a new version of the document for the next draft, after a review cycle, I went to the simple root Master Page and changed "Draft 1.0" to "Draft 2.0" -- expecting the change to propagate automatically through all the child Master Pages, and in turn to all the document pages.

Didn't happen.

I had to change the draft number for every page manually, either through a direct override or, paradoxically, through invoking the "Remove Selected Local Overrides" command on each "Draft 1.0" text box -- even though that master element had never been overridden on any of the pages.

What am I missing? Thanks.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

ID 2020 Master Pages update propagation -- didn't work.

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To iterate drafts of a tech document, I started by creating a basic "master" Master Page with "Draft 1.0" in a text box. I then based additional, varied Master Pages on that one. And then I put the document together, using those Masters.

When I saved a new version of the document for the next draft, after a review cycle, I went to the simple root Master Page and changed "Draft 1.0" to "Draft 2.0" -- expecting the change to propagate automatically through all the child Master Pages, and in turn to all the document pages.

Didn't happen.

I had to change the draft number for every page manually, either through a direct override or, paradoxically, through invoking the "Remove Selected Local Overrides" command on each "Draft 1.0" text box -- even though that master element had never been overridden on any of the pages.

What am I missing? Thanks.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working here as expected. Did you use layers? perhaps the original "Draft 1.0" is on a separate layer? Did you try to apply the desired master to the pages? Have you checked for InDesign updates? I would try to export as IDML, and open as a new InDesign file. If it's still not working, a work-around would be to use the Content Collector Tool to collect and place as a link the "Draft 1.0" copy, any changes to the original will also change all of the links (upon link update).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Luke. I did use layers, but the same layer was common to all pages derived from the initial master. I'll follow up with your suggestions and see if that resolves my issue. Much appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines