Exit

ID doc works for a while, then freezes inconsistently

Participant ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am running CS5 on Windows 10.

I am writing a book that takes up about 13MB of memory.

Yesterday, it looked like three footnotes I needed to move out of the beginning of a text box to a previous text-box string was making the ID document freeze.  Frankly, I don't know how these three footnotes (created with Type\Insert Footnote) even got there, because they were attached to sentences in the paragraph previous to where they were, in a separate text-box string!  (I hope this much so far makes sense!)

I successfully moved footnotes 2 and 3 where they belong by cutting each marker number from the body copy area and pasting them in the previous paragraph with no trouble.  But footnote #1 wouldn't budge by cutting the 1 marker; the doc would always freeze when I tried to cut it.  Finally, I left the 1 in place in the body copy area and cut its text at the bottom of the box (leaving "1" in front of the text behind, just in case that would cause a problem).  I created a new footnote marker in the paragraph where the text belongs, and pasted the text in the area provided.  Save; success.

Next, I wondered if the text-box string containing immovable footnote #1 became corrupted?  I cut all body copy in that string, except footnote 1 (now just a marker pointing to nothing) and pasted it into a new text box string off to the side.  I then deleted all of the old, now-empty text box string to get rid of the footnote and hopefully the corruption, Save; all is well.

When I moved the first two text boxes of the new string in place, all was fine; Save, good.

The third long box needed to be dragged to a page on the pasteboard below: freeze! 

I shut ID down and opened the doc again, going through Reccovery.  This time, I deleted the last two text boxes of the new string first to click on the red "+" and then click where word-wrap needed to continue: freeze!

This is getting tiring.  I stopped at this point and came here for troubleshooting.

You should also know that last night I did a little work in some other ID docs, one of them almost the same size, and had no problems.  I also edited some Word docs, again with no trouble.  So it would seem something is going on with this particular ID doc. 

Also, I've been composing my book in this ID/CS5 doc for over five years.  I don't like using Word to compose text because I can't put my Illustrator drawings there (yes, I place them in ID using File\Place) for guidance.  The illustrations help me see the book for real, to know what to write next.  I have wondered if I've overdone composition there, but don't know why that would make all this freezing happen.

I hope I don't need to (gulp) create a new ID doc and transfer all text, Paragraph Styles and all that.  And what if that doesn't solve the problem?  So I'm asking here and hope what I've described is clear.  I will be most grateful for any advice towards a fix.

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 is unsupported under Windows 10. You can try running it in Windows 7 compatibility mode but beyond that, you are, unfortunately, on your own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I think I found the problem: the footnotes from Type\Inser Footnote went crazy.

I managed to move text beyond the confines of a text box to a separate ID doc lacking my chosen Paragraph Styles.  There, two formatting glitches appeared that, as far as I can remember, I had nothing to do with.  Both came from features under the Type menu.

One was "1." for a list, on its own type line, with nary a footnote nearby.

The other was a footnote marker preceded by a bullet.  ???

My text came to a page break anyway, so I started a new text box string to be sure all text would make it back into the book without trouble.  I still have to finish moving text, but so far, word wrap from box to box has done its thing, with no freezing.

Oddly, I was able to work in other text box strings today with no problems.  This suggested that the trouble was localized to certain places.  So I may move text from other problematic text box strings to see what else may pop up.

I would say the problem stemmed from trying, a long time ago, to figure out how to place footnotes when more than one text box is on a page and a footnote marker has to go in the upper box.  I can't have footnote text in the middle of a page!  Well, the only answer I have come up with is to put one text box on the entire page and then press the Return key a lot to make room for an illustration in the middle of a page so the footnote reference will land at the bottom of the page.  Also, some illustrations need footnotes.  When this happens, I put a footnote marker on one of those blank type lines from the Return key ( seen with the Paragraph feature turned on) and then select None for the marker's color.  This creates a place at the bottom of the page for a footnote text, and then I type an unconnected footnote number in ordinary type to go with the drawing.

Anyway, I seem to have a fix now.  Even though my nerves are a little shattered after doing this and hoping nothing would freeze(!), everything calmed down, after which I went for a walk to de-stress!  I hope all will remain well tomorrow and forever.

I hope this explanation makes sense, because I would like it to help other users.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines