• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ID keeps asking me to save file as if it's the first time

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. So there's a particular template I've made for work. Every single time I open it, do something to it and hit "save" ID asks me to save as if it's the first time, rather than just updating the changes.

It only does this with that one file and others that I've created based on it.

Must be a setting I've got on it? Doesn't make sense to me.

Thoughts?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it saved as and InDesign Template? (.indt)  If so, that is the expected behavior on the first save after opening, becasue the template is intended to be left untouched. If you need to make changes to the template itself, use the Open dialog from InDesign, and choose Open Original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is an InDesign template *.indt document file you also could rename it in Mac Finder or Windows file Explorer to *.indd, make the changes in InDesign and rename it back to *.indt.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this with a newer Mac w/Big Sur OS? I have a mac in the office that does this with .indd documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey peeps. Thanks for your replies.

So it's an .indd doc. And yes - the weird thing is it's acting like an .indt file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running a Mac with Big Sur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Still on Catalina.

But there may have just been something corrupt in the file, because I copied everything, pasted in  new doc and now it's acting normal!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Was this happening only the first time you opened the template, but not on subsequent saves? For example, open Template.indd, make changes, File > Save, opens dialogue so you save as May.indd; later open May.indd, make changes, Save, and file saves normally.

if so this may mean the file was saved in an older version on InDesign. If you were to overwrite the old file it would be incompatible with the program that created it. When a save will introduce the risk of incompatibility InDesign treats the save as a Save As. 

if that's not it, was this a network issue? Were you saving to a network drive? I'm no expert on networking but I have had issues saving in a network. I try to keep my work local but you know how it is. Do I really need to copy that file to my desktop, make a change, copy it back, delete file from desktop… ah, good night.

3C45E101-06F2-4190-B8D5-BA101BAE767A.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines