Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IDML: 100% compatible to INDD?

Engaged ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

can't export a specific double page in a document with about 100 pages to PDF. It's only possible if I delete all pages before and after and merge this page within Acrobat Pro.

It's nothing special about this page! Just text as on the next page. Very mysterious.

Only hope: to fix this by saving my document as IDML, than again as INDD.

Not the first time I have to apply this workaround.

Question: is the IDML format 100% comptible with the latest InDesign version? Or can it be that certain elements are moved etc.?

Thanks!

mycc

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

IDML is the InDesign file in a basic XML file. 

The workaroudn here is that it removes any excess codes built up in the background of the InDesign file. Which can happen over time. 

It's this excess code that is bloating the export and possibly causing errors on export. 

The IDML file as an XML is then rebuilt as an InDesign file. 

This process is 100% compatible as long as it's the same version of InDesign.

As you can imagine and IDML created in 2021 and opened in 2019 wouldn't have some

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the IDML in the same version of InDesign, mostly you should be fine.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IDML is the InDesign file in a basic XML file. 

The workaroudn here is that it removes any excess codes built up in the background of the InDesign file. Which can happen over time. 

It's this excess code that is bloating the export and possibly causing errors on export. 

The IDML file as an XML is then rebuilt as an InDesign file. 

This process is 100% compatible as long as it's the same version of InDesign.

As you can imagine and IDML created in 2021 and opened in 2019 wouldn't have some new features that the 2021 features would have had. 

But as I say - if there is something faulty with your file the first step is to remove any minor corruption through IDML round trip.

But, with anything, it might move - who knows, what is the error on the page? It's hard to understand what it could be, text, position, coordinace, image, colours??? It could be anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

... maybe because of a bug of the forum software, just look at this screenshot of my short answer:

mycc_0-1619710313371.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines