IDML: Applied font is missing from Story / Text field

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I have this text field, as seen in InDesign:

Screenshot 2020-12-25 at 11.53.28.png

I'm facing a weird issue where I apply the font Muli (Regular) to a text field and export the project to an IDML. After exporting, I notice that the story XML file that represents the text field in the zipped IDML does not contain the element of AppliedFont.

Screenshot 2020-12-25 at 11.50.49.png
 
This causes an issue for me as I want to use the font name from the AppliedFont element in the XML for my external program that digests IDMLs to a custom format.

This seems to only be happening for the Muli (Regular) font from what I can tell, I changed the text field to use the font Crystal Sky and checked the story XML file and the element AppliedFont appears just fine and my external program can detect the font name used on that text field.

Screenshot 2020-12-25 at 11.50.59.png

Any advice on what might be the issue here?

InDesign version: InDesign CC 2020 (15.1)

Attached .indd file as well that has two text fields, one with Crystal Sky and one with Muli just as demonstrated above.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Hi Adam,

why is the applied font not istalled?
Your first screenshot is showing a missing font with a missing style. The name "Muli" is presented in brackets like that: "[Muli]" with style "[Regular]]" which suggests a missing font and style. Note the double closing brackets? I have no idea why is that.

I'd suggest that all needed fonts are installed and available when exporting to IDML ( or IDMS ).

Or using the text frame as asset for an InDesign library or with CC Libraries which in essence i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,

why is the applied font not istalled?
Your first screenshot is showing a missing font with a missing style. The name "Muli" is presented in brackets like that: "[Muli]" with style "[Regular]]" which suggests a missing font and style. Note the double closing brackets? I have no idea why is that.

I'd suggest that all needed fonts are installed and available when exporting to IDML ( or IDMS ).

Or using the text frame as asset for an InDesign library or with CC Libraries which in essence is also using the IDMS code.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Laubender,

Thank you for the quick response.

For my usecase the font being installed shouldn't be an issue. However - following your advice I have asked my colleague (who has this issue) to confirm your suggestion (all needed fonts are installed and available on the device when exporting IDMLbut we're still facing the same issue with the "AppliedFont" not being present in the attributes of the IDML export, hence our own code fails still.

Are there any other suggestions/areas to check on our end if we're doing something wrong?

Much thanks,
Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why is the text separated in 2 frames? Best tecnique is to keep it in a single frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines