• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IDML crashes both InDesign CS4 and InDesign 2020

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I'm facing a really strange problem. I saved an .indd file as .idml and this .idml cannot be opened. If I double click it to open it with InDesign 2020 by default, it crashes. If I try to open it on InDesign CS4, it crashes too. I already asked a coworker to try to open this idml on their computer and it crashed their InDesign too. The indd file works just fine but the idml is what I need (I need to run it through a translation software that only accepts CS4 idml formats). Do you have any idea on what could be causing this problem? 

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-export the IDML. Sounds like it's corrupt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob! Oh unfortunately, I already tried. I also tried using the "save as" option as well as the "export" option. I even redownloaded the indd and exported it again. I also tried packaging it but it's always the same: the idml file just won't open. 😞 You're probably right with it being corrupt but I can't figure out what's causing it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving and exporting are exactly the same. Can't imagine what would cause it.

Have you tried installing 2021 and exporting from there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried that yet, no! I'll let you know if the problem gets fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I got InDesign 2021 and re-exported the idml and... nothing. This idml still cannot be opened, this is so strange!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how these translation softwares work, but I would imagine there is no InDesign engine behind it, just good old plain text edit (since idml is basically a zip file full of xml files). Not sure if this helps if you then need to open the translated file...

And ID 2021 now has a recover corrupt files function... maybe that does work? Did you try opening the idml in 2021?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines