Highlighted

.idml File Sharing Problems Indesign

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am just starting to use the program and I seem not to be able to open a file sent to me by a friend.

This is an .idml format, she's working on OS and I am working on windows 10 home and downloaded the program last week.

This is a screenshot of what it reads. Thanks for the help.

(translation: impossible to open the file, it's possible indesign doesn't support the format, a plug in is missing or that it is open in another application).

Screenshot 2020-03-18 20.28.45.png

Topics

Feature request, How to, Sync and storage, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

.idml File Sharing Problems Indesign

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am just starting to use the program and I seem not to be able to open a file sent to me by a friend.

This is an .idml format, she's working on OS and I am working on windows 10 home and downloaded the program last week.

This is a screenshot of what it reads. Thanks for the help.

(translation: impossible to open the file, it's possible indesign doesn't support the format, a plug in is missing or that it is open in another application).

Screenshot 2020-03-18 20.28.45.png

Topics

Feature request, How to, Sync and storage, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 19, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you opening an IDML file? Get the INDD file and open that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 19, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's assuming you have the same or later versions of InDesign.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do, I don't know what the problem was but I had her re-send everything in the INDD version and it worked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that is how I solved it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 19, 2020 0
Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mariheres,

you try to open the wrong file. If you are looking closely you try to open a file that begins with ._ at the beginning of its name. In Mac OS X this is a invisible part of a file, the resource fork.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/187826/confusion-in-understanding-data-fork-resource-fork-...

Instead trying to open "._Catalogo.idml"

ResourceFork-File-of-OSX.PNG

open Catalogo.idml.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 19, 2020 0
Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mariheres,

the problem was that you tried to open a Mac OS X resource fork file instead of the data fork file that actually contains the data you were looking for. That resource fork file will be transmitted from OS X to Windows if you do that via removable disks like FatX formatted USB drives. A Mac can read/write to that kind of device, a Windows machine can read/write to that kind of device.

However, Mac OS X will store specific properties of a file in an extra, invisible file for the Mac OS X user that will be visible instantly if such a drive is plugged to a Windows machine.

So you may moved the wrong file to your Windows machine.

You know that you have the wrong file if you look at its name.

It always begins with a dot followed by an underscore.

Below a typical USB drive where I stored a folder with InDesign documents together with some script files from my Mac and plugged it to my Windows machine:

MacBackup-on-Windows10.PNG

Also note the DS_Store files and the file size of the resource fork files compared with their corresponding data fork files.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 19, 2020 1