• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IDML

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I'm java dev and I'm trying to work with IDML file format and look for a java lib for that, can somebody help me with that? So... in a final result I want read all possible meta data from inDesign doc (.indd). Thanks.

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Hi There,

IDML is an open format, it's basically a zip archive of a bunch of XML files that contain all the necessary data to create the InDesign document. To start you can read the IDML specification and identify the files that contain the information that you need, next part would be easy w.r.t to unzipping and reading/querying the files that are of interest to you.

https://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/indesign/sdk/cs6/idml/idml-specification.pdf

-Manan 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Hi Dirk,

the owner of idmllib, FHCon GmbH, was merged to DAM United AG in 2017.

See "History" at: https://www.dam-united.com/dam-united/?lang=en

It seems that idmllib is no product anymore.

At least the server is not responding if you follow the links from there:

https://www.heise.de/download/product/idmllib-fuer-java-74417

Hm. DAM United AG is also listed as Adobe Partner:

https://partners.adobe.com/exchangeprogram/creativecloud/exchangeprogram/creativecloud/fragments/partners/a1X14000008lraeEAA.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

The images referenced by the original document can be distributed across a vast file system hierarchy, multiple volumes and so forth.

Packaging does not embed the images, but it collects the images into the "Links" sub-folder of the package folder. You are supposed to transfer that entire package folder to your other workstation.

Regarding the low resolution image previews contained in .indd files - InDesign server has a mode to omit those e.g. for speed or file size reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

IDML is an open format, it's basically a zip archive of a bunch of XML files that contain all the necessary data to create the InDesign document. To start you can read the IDML specification and identify the files that contain the information that you need, next part would be easy w.r.t to unzipping and reading/querying the files that are of interest to you.

https://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/indesign/sdk/cs6/idml/idml-specification.pdf

-Manan 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! Will read

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. Will read

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There used to be the commercial product from idmllib.com, but I don't know whether that is still maintained, when I tried right now the server was not responding. As I understand it it was meant to produce entire IDML files rather than just parsing them.

On the other hand, what do you mean with "all possible meta data"?

While the InDesign document format (.indd) is proprietary, it has an embedded XMP section for metadata.

Try XMP Toolkit for Java, maybe it is sufficient for your task? Also please report back any experiences …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need content from designed doc so will investigate "XMP section for metadata". Cool and thanks, and of course will share my experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have InDesign running, use File >> File Info … to peek at the XMP meta data as it is, especially the Raw Data section of the dialog. At best, XMP Toolkit will give you access to that.

If you also need contents and formatting beyond the meta data, stick with IDML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dirk,

the owner of idmllib, FHCon GmbH, was merged to DAM United AG in 2017.

See "History" at: https://www.dam-united.com/dam-united/?lang=en

It seems that idmllib is no product anymore.

At least the server is not responding if you follow the links from there:

https://www.heise.de/download/product/idmllib-fuer-java-74417

Hm. DAM United AG is also listed as Adobe Partner:

https://partners.adobe.com/exchangeprogram/creativecloud/exchangeprogram/creativecloud/fragments/par...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeap idmllib is not supprting, anyway IDML file doesn't contain image that I want to get from indesign. 
So I have another one question, is it possible to receive (or how) image from indd file format? Maybe somehow via InDesign server API (if it exists).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anton,

don't know exactly what you are after.

FWIW: An IDML file could contain a placed image's data if the image was embedded before in the InDesign document where you exported an IDML file from.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, as I can see there is only path to the image (on my local machine). I've unpacked IDML go to in the Spreads directory in the Spread_ue6.xml and see just a path under LinkResourceURI (file:/MyimageLocalPath) and there is no image binaries under IDML(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, as a final result I want to get all possible  data from inDesign document like text, layers, positions, styles and of course images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anton, as Uwe mentioned, IDML will either contain the path to the linked files as you have already discovered or the base64 encoded(have not tested it) data for the embedded files. Rest all the other information that you want is easily accessible. XPaths will be your friend in this

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manan I see, but you have mentioned "the path to the linked files" it is just a path but not an image. In case if I want to import IDML in  another workstation there won't be that image (because of another file system) is it? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the same as with the original .indd document.

Have a look at the "Package…" command which btw. includes an .idml export.

The standalone .idml export as you know it would be used in scenarios where external resources including images are stored on shared volumes, or eventually managed in a workflow system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, will take a look at Package

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Dirk, did not understand you at first time... so, I've used packaging for .indd and .idml formats, and looks like that .idml has image binaries only for "Embedded" type of images but not for "Linked". 

BTW .indd contains image binaries for both "Embedded" and "Linked" types of images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images referenced by the original document can be distributed across a vast file system hierarchy, multiple volumes and so forth.

Packaging does not embed the images, but it collects the images into the "Links" sub-folder of the package folder. You are supposed to transfer that entire package folder to your other workstation.

Regarding the low resolution image previews contained in .indd files - InDesign server has a mode to omit those e.g. for speed or file size reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anton,

if an InDesign document contains binaries for linked graphics or images the binaries are for the screen representation only: In low resolution. As I already said: You have to embed a placed image or a graphic in an InDesign document so that InDesign is able to include the binary ( not only a low res screen representation ) with an IDML file.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Uwe, got it. Thanks a lot for explaining! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines