• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020 slow performance in macOS 10.14.6

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the last year I'm having an issue with random constant slow downs using Indesign. After performing certain random actions, Indesign slows down with a spinning wheel where even moving the page around with the hand tool or even just typing and selecting causes the wheel to appear for 10 seconds or so. Making working impossible. I have tried everything possible that I have found online to fix this and spent hours looking for a solution to find where the problem lies. However what does fix the problem is restarting my MacPro, which is not really an ideal solution.

I have so far, trashed preferences, cleared font caches in the system and in Indesign using 'FontExplorer'. Removed Autoactivation in Font Explorer. Turned Font Explorer off altogether and use Fontbook. Happens on all documents. I've stripped Indesign of all its features that might cause a slowdown like Turning off preflight, simple panel options in pages. Every feature in Indesign preferences is minimal from turning off font previews to track changes to GPU performance. Running in fast display performance mode. I'm currently using Indesign 15.03 because this version seems to work better than any version after that. I have to also use Photoshop CC 2019 as the 2020 version has the same slow down issue. Nothing has fixed the problem. Desperate for a solution. My MacPro is mid 2010 however have upgraded the graphics card and added more RAM and have USB3 ports.

My computer specs are here:

MacOS Mojave version 10.14.6

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)

2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

64 GB 1066 MHz DDR3

Radeon RX 580 8 GB

Display 31.5-inch (3840 x 2160)

Mac HD 500GB with 280 avaliable

Is there something in my hardware that I should change? Is the Processor fast enough?

Otherwise the machine is very fast in other software.

Thanks for your time. Any advice appreciated.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Update.  I created a new user account and Indesign works perfectly. In case anyone is interested as it fixed my issues and I was looking for a solution a while.

I created a new admin user account and deleted my damaged original user account from the new account, keeping the home (deleted) folder using the method in the link below. I didn't need to reboot from single user mode. I followed these steps:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-rebuild-a-user-account-in-os-x/#

All working well now. Still hav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update.  I created a new user account and Indesign works perfectly. In case anyone is interested as it fixed my issues and I was looking for a solution a while.

I created a new admin user account and deleted my damaged original user account from the new account, keeping the home (deleted) folder using the method in the link below. I didn't need to reboot from single user mode. I followed these steps:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-rebuild-a-user-account-in-os-x/#

All working well now. Still have all the same original user account running minus all the problems.

I'm still not really sure what was in the user acount library that was causing the problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi John,

Glad to hear you were able to fix the issue. We appreciate you sharing the solution here as it'll help other users having similar concern.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other issue in the future. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines