Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator to indesign gradient changes color after pasted

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Florian5CBB_0-1610374767017.png

Somebody please tell me why this happens.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Check the document assigned profiles via Edit>Assign Profiles—the document profiles could be different than the Color Setting’s profiles.

Here I’ve made sure the assignments match and both a Placed and Pasted version match when the AI Document Mode is CMYK. I’ve also unchecked Prefer PDF When Pasting in ID’s Clipboard Prefs, which brings a new Gradient Swatch over from AI:

Screen Shot 4.png

If the AI Document Color Mode is RGB there is a mismatch when pasting but not on a Place (top):

Screen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the meantime I have found a similar problem:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/colours-change-on-pasting-from-illustrator-to-indesign/td...
This was also the solution for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry this wasn't the deal here. I hoped so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try placing rather than pasting. When you are checking that the profiles match, make sure you use Edit>Assign Profiles... in both apps and not the Color Settings Working Spaces–they could be different.

Also, if you are pasting a gradient fill that you want to edit or adjust in InDesign, the AI file’s Document Color Mode has to be CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything is as you have mentioned.

Florian5CBB_0-1610376848527.png

and in illustrator the document mode is also in CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the document assigned profiles via Edit>Assign Profiles—the document profiles could be different than the Color Setting’s profiles.

Here I’ve made sure the assignments match and both a Placed and Pasted version match when the AI Document Mode is CMYK. I’ve also unchecked Prefer PDF When Pasting in ID’s Clipboard Prefs, which brings a new Gradient Swatch over from AI:

Screen Shot 4.png

If the AI Document Color Mode is RGB there is a mismatch when pasting but not on a Place (top):

Screen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now saved the shape in AI, than simply placed it, and now its color correct.
Thanks for your suggestion!

But I still think, that the devs should think about a solution on this case. Because saving a new file instead drag and drop makes extra data and more clicks to reach your goal.
Not to mention if a stressed out user meets with this, than it can lead to negative reviews.
Last for not least, if a software supports a function, but it does not functions as it supposed, than why is it made in the first place? (I know this is just a part of it, but than I would also like to get just some part of my money back).
I wrote this without anger. And English is not my mother tounge, pardon me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general pasting into an ID document is not the best practice. Pasted objects get embedded rather than linked, which can cause file size or stability problems with large document’s containing high resolution images. Linked assets also allow you to easily edit originals from the Links panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is true, but until sketching you will not use your most expensive tools.
Anyway:

Florian5CBB_0-1610378430728.png

Sadly just pasting works by me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*placing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you paste from a CMYK AI doc is a Gradient swatch being added to your Swatches panel?

Can you share your AI file via Dropbox or some other sharing service?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just adds the Solid color from the Rectangle. And one more strange thing is, that it's also changing the size and align of the object/objects.
Here is a link to the AI and  iD File:
https://we.tl/t-DVaV9Ik7C3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is something wrong with your AI shape with the gradient—not sure if it is a bug. If I redraw your shape and make a new gradient, it works as expected. When I paste your gradient into InDesign the stop to the right gets changed from 0|80|80|0 to 0|100|100|0, and it‘s not a color managed conversion. Here you can see the new shape I drew is pasting correctly.

Screen Shot 6.png

Here are the files:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/384210dd-f656-4616-4edf-b31fe49a5846

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines