Image captions in a paragraph

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy all, happy new year

I'm familiar with being able to have automated captions for a single image (through Meta data) however I'm wondering if it's possible to have all the images of a page included in a running paragraph of text, rather than individual blocks? I.e, so all image captions are included in a single block of text.

Is my thinking to wishful? Hoping not.

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
How to, Scripting, Type

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be able to trick it...
1. Create your captions on a separated non printing layer with a specific and unique paragraph style.
2. Create a Table of Content to capture that style only, and enable Run-in option.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello supernaut_au,

The only way I think you could do this would be to use Table of Contents. You would still have to have each image have it's own caption like normal. But if you used a custom paragraph style, you could then generate a Table of Contents which would bring this all into one text frame.

The only other way to do this would be through scripting.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jean-Claude TremblaySorry i was writing my reply and didn't refresh to see somone answered or not.
@supernaut_auWith the scripting method if all the images are in a folder you could easily get a python script to give you a list of names, which would be easier than looking for a script that runs in indesign. (if you are on a Mac, python is built in)

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines