• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images lost when placing table from Word

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC - I have a table in excel with columns of hyperlinked text and a column of images. I am copying the table to a Word document to be able to import the hyperlinks to InDesign. So far, so good.

But when I go to place the word document in InDesign, the images are lost. The table is intact, the links work, the image boxes are still there, but they are empty. Any ideas on what to do?

Samuel5C30_0-1600429964762.png

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try importing as a Formatted Table, with Include Inline Graphics checked.

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.32.11 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried, with no success unfortunately :<

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of image are they? Be aware that many image types cannot be used in a professional printing environment. Specially if you get image via copy and paste from some other applications or from the web to MS Office these are often not only lost in InDesign but also if you open the MS Office files on a different computer. Therefore it is very important to save these images in compatible file types beside the Word document and insert an image from them.

But even if theses images were carried over to InDesign, you should consider to do it a different way and produce other images for a professionel workflow. I don't know what these images are, to help here we would need more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pictures are a mix of (mostly)jpeg and png. Once in place, the pictures will be quite small and mostly viewed online, so I'm not too concerned about quality. The tables in question range from 200-400 rows, so manually matching and placing the images is not really an option, as the documents needs to be easily updated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know why you can't just place the Excel file - or copy an paste from Excel.

If the Excel or Word file is a .xlsx or a .docx document.

Then you can duplicate the file.

Change the extension to .zip

Unzip the file.

Locate the Media folder

And all the images should be in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said in the post, if I place the Excel-file, the hyperlinks are broken. And even if I do, the images show up blank :<

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just placed an Excel file containing hyperlinks and images in ID 2020 and the hyperlinks were maintained. I used the Import Option settings as mentioned, Formatted Table include images. Not sure why yours aren't working. My hyperlink happened to be a URL converted by Excel. Are the hyperlinks working in the Excel file? What kind of links?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines