• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images not displaying in InDesign after editing in Photoshop

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the color profile on several images and saved the jpegs, but when I went to re-link them in InDesign, some of them are not displaying and instead are displaying a transparent "X" or in some cases a grayed out "X". I tried placing the old files and they display perfectly, just as they were before editing in Photoshop. I tried saving new versions of the files that weren't displaying correctly with unique names, didn't help. I tried restarting InDesign and my computer, didn't help. I tried turning off my GPU Performance, didn't help. And I even tried changing the display performance, which also didn't help. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try saving them as .psd?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried and nothing changed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They look like RGB files, what profile did you convert to and why did you need to convert?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I needed to convert them to CMYK. All of the other files I converted were just fine, it's only a select few, maybe 1/5 of the total number of images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image > Mode > for CMYK

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried placing these new images into a new InDesign file to confirm that the problem lies with the images and not the InDesign file?

The Place dialog box has a Show Import Options checkbox. This option can also be temporarily invoked by holding down the Shift key when pressing the Open button. This opens a second dialog box that contains multiple sections worth of settings. Does anything in here help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just placed it into a new InDesign file and it behaves the same way, so it's definitely the image files. And I tried opening the import options when placing the image again and none of the settings helped me. 

I'm beginning to think that I may just have to go back to the original source files and leave them as RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share 1 page of the images and also the images - you can use dropbox or something to send.

Hard to know without seeing it in action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In most cases there’s no benefit in making CMYK conversions in Photoshop—InDesign uses the same color management for color conversions, so the conversion to CMYK can happen on an Export to PDF or when the ID file is printed.

Also, there could be a problem with the JPEGs. There is no advantage to placing JPEGs, so saving them as PSDs might also be a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was definitely something wrong with the files themselves. In the info for the file, it was showing 0 for the resolution and 0 for PPI, which wasn't affecting the RGB version for some reason, but was doing something to it when converting. And I've had some slight color issues in the past when I haven't converted everything to CMYK before placing in InDesign, so I've just decided to make it part of my workflow when I know that it's going to print. 

Since I'm using stock photos, I went and re-downloaded the files and they are behaving as they should be. I was passed this project from someone else, so I'm not sure what happened to the files themselves. Starting fresh with them seems to have done the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It’s common for InDesign to have problems with JPEGs coming from web sources. I would consider setting up a batch action that will convert incoming files to PSDs before you place them.

Also many RGB web images have no profile assigned. For InDesign to correctly make the conversion to CMYK on export there has to be an embedded profile. If your habit is to directly place RGB JPEGs from the web into an ID doc, it wouldn’t be surprising to see color management problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines