• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images not showing in document after updating to v 16.3.2 (file generated in previous version)

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to Indesign v 16.3.2 and have opened a document I was working on this morning. Random images are not showing in the document. If I PDF it, they are still there, however I can't see them!

I tried switching back to a previous version of Indesign, they are still not showing. I also updated other Adobe apps at the same time.

Any ideas? Have changed display performance from high to typical, this doesn't help either. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File>Export and choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign

Save it as a new InDesign file (new file name)

See if the issue is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that didn't work. And additionally the effects in the BG have disappeared. 

This is a nightmare! Designing in invisible ink! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the images show with Overprint Preview enabled?

Does a restart of InDesign help?

Are you seeing this in other documents as well?

If yes: Trash preferences and caches.

If no: Trash caches.

To do that quit InDesign.

[1] Backup the InDesign cache and preferences folders in your user folder first. Paths see below.

The tilde character in the path description at the start leads you to your personal user folder.

( Folder Library in your user folder is invisible by default installation of your Mac OS. )

[2] Delete or rename the Version 16 folder.

[3] Restart InDesign so that cache and preferences are rebuild from scratch.

See the paths documented here, scroll down to "Restore all preferences and default settings":

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/setting-preferences.html

Caches:

~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 16

Preferences:

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 16

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue... and none of the fixes worked -- sadly. Very frustrating. Happens with new documents as well. I cannot upgrade to the new indesign so stuck with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Tina S Houston,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please try the suggestions shared here https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/images-are-not-showing-up-after-the-new-update/m... and let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am having the same problem. Have opened an InDesign layout using InDesign 2021 and cannot see the pictures - only the picture boxes. Doing as suggested above did not work for me. Any more suggestions please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still doesn't work... meant to come back to this but have just been dealing with it. Very frustrating.

interestingly I went into Window / Output / Separation Preview and clicked on View Separations... then selected all the boxes and I can see the image and the effects.... might help someone else. Not correct, but at least a workaround, for this file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines