• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Implementing a video in a InDesign file to convert to pdf (with play/stop button)

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty much the title. I'd like to put a video in an InDesign file with a button to start, stop and pause the video. I want to export in .pdf

Any ideas or ressources to check?

Thank's in advance!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't do that in an Interactive PDF, insert a hyperlink in your PDF to a YouTube, or similar, video or, alternatively, use FXL ePub, InDesign's Publish Online or in5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do this regularly, but it's done in Acrobat, not InDesign. I put a placemarker graphic in my InDesign file, then once my PDF is created, I edit it in Acrobat to "Add Rich Media" to add a clickable link to a video file (local or externally linked) to that position in the file. You can also embed the video if you want a self-contained PDF, but you can imagine how large your PDF could become doing that. You have the options to have controls show or not, etc. Look into Acrobat's help system for instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want it to work in mobile .pdf won't work. You must export an html file. Publish online is the free option available via your cc subscription.

FXL ePub requires for you to use a ePub reader, that only applies if you doing ebooks.

in5 is a plug in to indesign that would require you host the files. 

hope this helps.

thank

jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Media panel in InDesign to place Video/Audio files either from your hard drive  OR  choose Place Video from URL (draw a frame prior to choosing this option).

You can also create Buttons on the page and use the Buttons and Forms panel to Start, Stop, Pause, Resume the Video/Audio. Use the Sample Buttons and Forms option (available in the Buttons and Forms panel's flyout menu) to quickly use pre-made buttons and customize/modify them to your needs.

Then export the Interactive PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Content (publications etc) produced via InDesign with the in5 plug-in is in HTML5 format and can be rendered on any device - PC, Mac , tablet or smart phone - with a compatible browser. It can be hosted, or downloaded or emailed, i.e. you don't have to host the files as an earlier poster in this thread claimed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless something's changed (and I haven't checked in a while) you can't run HTML locally on an iPad or iPhone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob is correct you can't run locally on mobile devices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek,

yes, IN5 need to be hosted for distribution. you can't download them on mobile devices and run it. you also can't embedding in emails. 

https://ajarproductions.com/in5course/?lesson=pubweb

I ask that if you have not used a product please dont' recommend it to folks.

You are not providing the correct information to users.

jonathan

[moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines