Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Excel spreadsheet into InDesign table

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having issues importing an Excel spreadsheet into an InDesign table.

The issue is that the InDesign table keeps being overwritten by the Excel spreadsheet - so my nicely designed table turns to chaos.

How do I import an Excel sheet into InDesign while still retaining the design in InDesign?

Thanks,

C

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

You are asking how to import an Excel spreadsheet into InDesign, and have InDesign control the formatting?

In that situation, I'd set up styles: a table style to control the look of the entire table, cell styles to control the look of the rows and columns, and paragraph styles to control the look of the text. You can nest all of these together so that simply applying the table style will also apply the cell and paragraph styles.

Once set up, you can assign the table style on import. Enable Import

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are asking how to import an Excel spreadsheet into InDesign, and have InDesign control the formatting?

In that situation, I'd set up styles: a table style to control the look of the entire table, cell styles to control the look of the rows and columns, and paragraph styles to control the look of the text. You can nest all of these together so that simply applying the table style will also apply the cell and paragraph styles.

Once set up, you can assign the table style on import. Enable Import Options in File > Place, pick unformatted table and select the cell style.

InDesign CCss_010.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are very welcome. Glad I could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfectly normal if you imported an unformatted table.

You have two choices:

1. Do all the format in Excel and place the table as a formatted table.

2. Place table as unformatted and do all the styling in InDesign. Then create table/cell styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,  I am having just the opposite issue, previously I was able to import all of the "styles" assigned in excel into my Indesign file.  Including background colors and font, this year using the same process I am losing the colors and fonts.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This discussion is old and answered. Please create a new discussion with full details on Excel, InDesign and operating system you're using and show us a screen cap of your import options.

I'm going to lock this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines