Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import PDF with hyperlinks into InDesign

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, 

I work on a catalogue and want to link some PDFs which include hyperlinks into InDesign. 

For linking the PDFs, I use Adobes own action / script to import PDF pages: PlaceMultipagePDF.jsx

With these, each page from the source file get placed on an own page, so far so good.

Appreantly, once I try to export an interactive PDF, the output does not include the hyperlinks in the source file. 

How can I make sure that the hyperlinks stay after exporting an interactive PDF?

It is out of question to remake every hyperlink in InDesign again, it should work with the combination of linking extern PDFs and exporting the end product to an interactive PDF.

Best Regards,

TB

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Hyperlinks will not be retained when importing a PDF into Indesign. For live links (and all interactivity), you will need to use Acrobat and insert PDFs into the master.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hyperlinks will not be retained when importing a PDF into Indesign. For live links (and all interactivity), you will need to use Acrobat and insert PDFs into the master.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Struggling to understand - insert PDFs into the master pages? I'm on CS5, and have PDFs that each contain roughly 20 links. And 30 PDFs in this InDesign file. Is there a simple way to make hundreds on links active? Confused by your instructions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be very clear, there is no “import” function for PDF into InDesign. You “place” such content. Any annotations, links, embedded files, etc. as well as most metadata from within the PDF file is discarded as part of the “place” operation.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While there is a technical difference between the functions "place" and "import", the terms are used interchangeably. When I "place" a PDF into InDesign, I still can choose "import" options. When I "place" a word or excel document into InDesign, IMO I am technically importing. And although I can't "import" a PDF, I can "import" PDF comments into Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is late, but what a useless response.  Why bother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, I see there was useful information aside from the place versus import discussion.  There does seem to be a reason for the difference.  Strange I can delete a comment here.  Or, I haven't figured it out perhaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only moderators can delete posts - you can only edit contents - the minimum is at least one character - like ".". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While there is a technical difference between the functions "delete" and "expunge", a user cannot do either with their post.  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I sadly found that out!  ;-}. Gotta watch at what level of a-hole I will be on these. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines