Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported PDF in InDesign looks terrible

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All!
I am very new to InDesign. I have created a PDF and imported in to InDesign to give a nice background to my project. I have created pop-up boxes and check boxes (which work). Everything looks great until I Export it in PDF. The interactive PDF looks terrible. I have changed the preferences to high quality but still looks awful.
I appreciate any advice - thank you!

Tasha

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

I figured it out! It was just me being unfamiliar with the program.  All I needed to do was increase the resolution when exporting it.  It looks great now.  Thank you all for your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need more information in order to help: Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using. 

You said you created a PDF. What application did you create it in? How did you create it (File > Print, File > Export in an Adobe application? What?) What PDF presets did you use to create it. What PDF reader are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, 

Again, I am a complete beginner.  I created the the document in Publisher and saved it as a PDF.  I was hoping to lay the interactivity over the document (check boxes and pop-up boxes).   I have basic Acrobat Reader DC.

Thank you for responding! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally you'd create your form in InDesign and export it as an interactive PDF then open it in Acrobat Pro and fine tune it there.

You can Place a background image - but it may make the printing out of the form difficult.

Keep any interactive elements to simple hyperlinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a hard time creating the design in Indesign - I used Publisher.  The words and shapes save in the interactive PDF just fine, it's the icons that look pixelated and strange. 

Thank you for responding! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is a professional level desktop publishing application with a steep learning curve. You need IMO to learn some of the basics before proceeding with your interactive document. Some local colleges have courses and there's private training. There are some excellent books, such as InDesign Classroom in a Book and online video tutorials such as the free ones supplied by Adobe and the paid-for ones from LinkedIn Learning (you can get a 30-day free trial). And, of course, you can ask specific questions on this friendly forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I'm not trying to disrespect the professional level of the program or appear naive.  I know the program can do amazing things and that I am working in a program I don't fully understand.  My expertise is in eLearning design and I work with some complicated software  professionally.  I honestly do not have the time to learn all of the features of InDesign for the project I'm working on currently.  I've figured out how to add interactive check boxes and how to make pop up boxes that open and close properly when exported to PDF. What I need now is the pre-made icon images to show up crisp and clear.  I'm hoping to take not classes to achieve that one thing.   I will remove the images from the imported PDF and add them to the document by placing higher resolution icons -crossing my fingers that will work.  

Thanks again for your reply! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let’s talk about the icons. What is their EFFECTIVE resolution. If you don’t know what that means, how many pixels do they have and what is their size in inches? If you don’t know that please tell us what you do know about the icons. Maybe they just aren’t good enough. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured it out! It was just me being unfamiliar with the program.  All I needed to do was increase the resolution when exporting it.  It looks great now.  Thank you all for your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines