• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing a Word document with tables into InDesign

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to import a 124 page Word document with tables into InDesign, and running into an issue with overset text when I try to auto-flow the document. I can see the text in Story Editor, but I can't figure out why it is overset. I've read a few threads on the subject and suspect it may have something to do with the table formatting in Word, but I haven't had any luck getting it fixed, so appreciate any advice on the subject!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021
Do any of those tables have very large rows? Go to the first one in the story editor and try setting the font to 2 points to see if helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do any of those tables have very large rows? Go to the first one in the story editor and try setting the font to 2 points to see if helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they have very large rows, with sometimes 2 full pages in Word of text. Decreasing the font size in Story Editor brought it in, thank you! Is there a change then that you'd recommend I make in Word so that the whole file flows in on import? Rather than individually editing each rows font size in Story Editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can’t break a row so you might want to rethink this thing and convert the tables to text.

Looks like adding a feature to break rows died somewhere along the line but feel free to add your $0.02

Option to split table rows across pages – Adobe InDesign (uservoice.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, good to know. Regardless I understand what is happening now and that is so helpful! Thank so much Bob, you're a legend!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad it helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines