• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing glyphs from Mac Character Viewer into Indesign?

Participant ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, there is a symbol in Mac Character Viewer that I want to type into an Indesign document. I'm am working in BigSur 10.15.7. Normally,  you place your cursor where you want it in an Apple program like Notes or Pages, open Character Viewer by pushing control-command-spacebar, and then you double-click on the character in Character Viewer and it appears where your cursor is. Unfortunately, that is not working when I am working in Indesign. I also tried copying and pasting the symbol after placing it in Notes, but that did not work. At a minimum, I would just like to be able to place the symbol once, and then I could copy and paste it everywhere else I need it. Ideally, I would be able to import the symbol into the Indesign Glyph panel, and access it anytime I need it from there. but I could not figure out how to do that either. Any help on either front would be much appreciated. 

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

In the Character Viewer, select the glyph you want to insert in InDesign. Notice its Unicode value (upper right). I selected a Pound Sign. It's Unicode value is 00A3.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 3.35.05 PM.png

In InDesign open the Glyphs panel. In the Search field, enter the Unicode value (I entered 00A3). You will see the glyph(s). Double-click the glyph you want to use to insert into the InDesign text.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 3.34.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the Character Viewer, select the glyph you want to insert in InDesign. Notice its Unicode value (upper right). I selected a Pound Sign. It's Unicode value is 00A3.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 3.35.05 PM.png

In InDesign open the Glyphs panel. In the Search field, enter the Unicode value (I entered 00A3). You will see the glyph(s). Double-click the glyph you want to use to insert into the InDesign text.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 3.34.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines