Highlighted

Importing Index topic levels

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have previously created an index for my textbook series using the 3rd party IndexMatic script, the challenge is that this is not dynamic and needs to be recreated each time the book updates, not ideal.

I'd like to use the native InDesign indexing tool and import my entries into the topic list (there are about 3000 entries and 6 different books in two languages to index). I have several levels of topics > parent topic > child > child and so forth. This is currently stored in a spreadsheet using special characters recognized by the IndexMatic script.

Indesign will recognize the parent-level topics easily enough if I drop it into an INDD file, how do I format it for the child topics? Indexing seems to be very poorly documented and very a manual process. Help!

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Print, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Importing Index topic levels

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have previously created an index for my textbook series using the 3rd party IndexMatic script, the challenge is that this is not dynamic and needs to be recreated each time the book updates, not ideal.

I'd like to use the native InDesign indexing tool and import my entries into the topic list (there are about 3000 entries and 6 different books in two languages to index). I have several levels of topics > parent topic > child > child and so forth. This is currently stored in a spreadsheet using special characters recognized by the IndexMatic script.

Indesign will recognize the parent-level topics easily enough if I drop it into an INDD file, how do I format it for the child topics? Indexing seems to be very poorly documented and very a manual process. Help!

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Print, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 23, 2020 0

Have something to add?