Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Word doc with footnotes

Participant ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read Randy's note

Alternately, you can use InDesign's footnote functions to generate the independent element information above, cutting and pasting the text itself from your Word document into the appropriate function edit boxes to preclude transcription errors.

I have tried several ways to import.

1 Using Custom Preset 2 using Word Import Preset 1

I get only one footnote imported. It has been renumbered as #1. None of the others appear. Footnote superscript also does not appear except for that one miraculous import.

I feel like I must be close if it finds one, but repeated tries have the same result.

I have a whole book to do and hope someone can help me do it as efficiently as possible

Is the cut and paste method above still the best option?

footnotes in word.JPGno footnote added.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Hi Grace:

I'm not sure what is going on with that Word file—InDesign is ignoring both the footnote and the endnotes me as well when I place it in its entirety.

My suggestion is that you break it up into smaller segments. For example, I deleted everything after the first section break and was able to import the footnotes and endnotes normally. Keep dividing up the sections and placing those into InDesign. This is important anyway if you want the endnotes at the end of each section and not at the en

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi muskoka lake:

I read Randy's note

Alternately, you can use InDesign's footnote functions to generate the independent element information above, cutting and pasting the text itself from your Word document into the appropriate function edit boxes to preclude transcription errors.

I'm not clear who "Randy" is or where you are getting that information. Was this post moved from another post so that it is now lacking context?

I work with footnotes regularly, and simple use File > Place with Footnotes checked in the Import Options dialog box (see image below). One of my legal journals has 200–450 footnotes per article and they all flow in at once. You should not have to copy/paste them individually.

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 12.33.24 PM.png

Were the footnotes added to the Word file correctly? Reference > Insert Footnote:

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 12.37.57 PM.png

It's odd that I see footnote reference "ii" and then 3 notes numbered 1,2 and 3 in your Word screenshot. Where is footnote ii? Are there references to 1, 2 and 3 that were cut off by your screen shot?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

the reference to "ii" could be a reference to endnotes.

( Just an assumption. )

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Footnotes are numbered 1, 2, 3 and endnotes are i ii and iii

I will try your suggestion. So glad to hear it is possible to do this. I

had read that it is better to use Word for preparing text and inserting

footnotes and endnotes before Placing into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did use the Insert Footnotes option on the Reference bar.  I am using

Office 2007. Is it possible that it is part of the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for addressing my question. Thanks too for including the link

to add a Question Answered  to the forum. I will do that as soon as I

get this sorted.

Here is the screenshot of the page that does have a footnote imported,

but as I said all the others are missing.The roman numerals are the

endnote markers.

Grace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having trouble I do not see the bar that allowed me to add a screenshot now. When I tried again I made sure to have Footnotes and Endnotes checked. Set as Custom for Preset.

The text is now coming in and somehow making larger text boxes. Even when I apply the A master to the pages the text box size does not return to the original on the master.

For some reason I can no longer include a screen shot

Thanks for trying to help, I'll give it one more trial starting from scratch on a new document and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi muskoka lake:

I am happy to take a look at both the Word doc and the InDesign doc. If you are comfortable with that, you can put them both on a file sharing service like dropbox and post a link here (public) or hover over my name and message me the link directly (private).

If you would rather share screen shots, be sure to reply to this in your browser (and not in your email) and use this button:

JIVE Add screen shot to reply.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to use Adobe Creative Cloud to share files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your kind offer. It is such a blessing to have

the forum to connect with knowledgeable people. I have searched for

classes but none are available in my small town.

I am trying to write my footnotes and endnotes in Word and then import

that section into InDesign to replace the existing section which has only

a few comments in the outside columns.I realize I hurried too much in my

choice of screenshot I put on the forum so it was unclear. So I have

attempted to be more organized in my choices.

Here's the situation. I have a file called**/first draft  

https://adobe.ly/2Vukwyx/  thttps://adobe.ly/2Vukwyxhat is the

combination of text and photos. I have learned that I need to enlarge

the photos. Since that will affect the layout I want to also include the

footnotes and endnotes  as I make choices about enlarging photos.

I have a file called///Chapters combined

text/***https://adobe.ly/2Vuy9hc https://adobe.ly/2Vuy9hc *with all the

word files combined and a Contents added. I have added footnotes, in

1,2,3 numbers and end notes in Roman numerals. I intend to move the

footnotes to the outside column on the page so that they can be lengthy

or short.

So I tried a test to see if I had imported the footnotes correctly. That

file is called///test 3 one footnote/*. https://adobe.ly/2VRkYGo *Only

one of my footnotes from the Word file came into Indesign as you will

see in test 3 file. That footnote was number 7 in the Word file but is

renumbered to number 1.

I spent the last few days learning to use the Creative Cloud. I had been

using it for backup only. So I hope I can now share these files with you.

I appreciate your time in looking at my files.

Sincerely,

Grace Taylor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clicked the button to change the Correct to not correct but don't see it changed. The part that I found correct was the comment about using Creative Cloud. I found that helpful. I still have not solved the problem of importing footnotes, so the answer to my initial question is still not answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Grace:

I'm not sure what is going on with that Word file—InDesign is ignoring both the footnote and the endnotes me as well when I place it in its entirety.

My suggestion is that you break it up into smaller segments. For example, I deleted everything after the first section break and was able to import the footnotes and endnotes normally. Keep dividing up the sections and placing those into InDesign. This is important anyway if you want the endnotes at the end of each section and not at the end of the entire story.

Word:

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.39.13 PM.png

InDesign:

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.39.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.40.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.40.09 PM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes so much sense. I am going to try it tomorrow. Here's hoping

it works for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My final solution is just to cut and paste the footnote from Word to Indesign. Not so bad since I have a second monitor.

Thank you very much for your help. It saved me from absolutely giving up.

I am back on track now and have started the second draft.

Sincere thanks for your help

Grace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder  wrote

Not … entirely, alas. If you check the position where the endnotes are supposed to be inserted, you will find a "temporary placeholder" character code U+FFFC there. These get inserted when 'reading' the main text but when that's done, it should fill in each code when the footnotes and endnotes are encountered.

That said: saving the Word document as .doc made InDesign read it perfectly, as far as I can see, concerning the footnotes and endnotes. But alas! The call-out boxes disappear!

The Word document is a fairly complicated one, so as Barb suggests, simplifying the document and make InDesign's (bad, bad!) Word Import filter work a bit less hard should make it easier to get you up and going with your text.

That said: there is nothing more complicated here than a few footnotes, endnotes, and inline text frames (those call-outs)! By any standard, InDesign must be able to read this without jumping through hoops. Report it at https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs?query=word so hopefully they will use your file for debugging InDesign's import filters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Saving as .doc solved the problem for me. I'm not sure how the author creates files, but I will suggest that EndNote might be involved somehow because the two authors I work with whose docs generate these problems both use EndNote. (Guessing!!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have storage (files.adobe.com) through your CC Subscription. You should go to the Creative Cloud forum and look thru the Tutorials and Help files. These files can be shared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines