• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imposition (if that's the right word) for an A-frame flip-calendar-style document

Explorer ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an 196-page InDesign document that will end up as a spiral-bound flip book. Its form factor is just like a standing desk calendar that goes January [flip through] June — rotate — July [flip though] December.

The document is in reading order: January through December. I need to turn out a PDF file in this order for the print vendor: January, December, February, November, March, October, April, September, May, Auguest, June, July. The pages will remain upright; they just need to be imposed in that order. The document has non-facing pages.

An InDesign plug-in that moves pages into that order would be amazing. But realistically, I'm hopeful for a script or process that will result in such a PDF file with the fewest clicks and key presses. Otherwise, the obvious solution (last resort) is to Export pages in order "1, 196, 2, 195, 3, 194, ...," a tedium I want to avoid.

Solutions anyone?

TOPICS
Import and export , Print , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Some gaps in my logic. Try this. 

var doc = app.activeDocument;
var pages = doc.pages.everyItem().getElements();
var numPages = pages.length / 2;
for (var i = 0; i < numPages; i++) {
    doc.recompose();
    doc.pages.lastItem().move(LocationOptions.AFTER, pages[i]);
}

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is no furniture (ie page number) from a master that needs to be copied over that might change, then something like this (use at your own risk--save before running): 

var numPages = pages.length;
for (var i = 0; i < numPages; i += 2) {
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @brianp311. Sadly, the script is not quite right. The result went out-of-order as soon as page 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some gaps in my logic. Try this. 

var numPages = pages.length / 2;
for (var i = 0; i < numPages; i++) {
    doc.recompose();
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works. Too late for me, sadly, but the script is saved and a great back-pocket time saver for next time. Thanks @brianp311 .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just keep in mind there are a number of cases where Brian’s script would break—facing pages, crossovers, auto page numbers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone who has worked in prepress, we would just create an imposition template to re-order the pages as the project requires; we wouldn't make the designer do any of that. As long as we know what it should be, it can be done quite easily.

Are you being asked to do that by them or are you thinking it would be of assistance to them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you discuss the job with the printer and binder. You would normally supply single page PDFs for the printer to impose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have said - you provide the pages 1 through to the finish in the reading order you want.

It's up to the printers to impose it - you do not do that at all.

If the print vendor insists, then insist that you should find a new print vendor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Otherwise, the obvious solution (last resort) is to Export pages in order "1, 196, 2, 195, 3, 194, ...," a tedium I want to avoid

Is the printer really asking you to impose, or are you making that assumption? It seems unlikely that a 196 page book would be imposed as 2-up printer spreads—is the press really that small? Wouldn’t the printer be running a larger sheet and need more complex signatures? Your manual imposition would get in the way of the imposition needed for a large press sheet:

imp.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't want to use a printer who expected me to do the imposition!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your interest. My client had already secured a vendor before contracting me. That vendor is a digital printer and imposition is not something they do. Page order needs to be set in the PDF file. I appreciate your concerns, but convincing my client to consider a better service is not in my scope. No worries though. I'm charging for the effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ridiculous.  You need to advise your client.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand where you're coming from, but don't direct me like that. The job is simple, and it's done. I've already advised my client for next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can only direct you in the manner that I would direct myself. There is plenty of advise from lots of individuals, you are welcome to use theirs. However, it is a public forum, and this might end up being a topic someone else finds. 

Forgive me if it's not the right advice for you, I appreciate that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and imposition is not something they do

You might still want to contact the printer directly.

If they really are expecting simple 2-up printer spreads, they can do that by printing a PDF from Acrobat. Acrobat has a Booklet function that will output printer spreads. InDesign also has a Print Booklet function that will print 2-up Saddle Stitch or Perfect Binding signatures. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again everyone for your input. I know you're looking out for my best interests, but the reality is that the project was ready to go at the time I posed my query. I just needed to know whether there's a way to do a thing so I can save myself some time. My client and I would have had a meaningful conversion about the printer if we were at "that end" of the project, but that wasn't the case here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain.

Best way to do it is to print out the pages as single pages.

Put them in the order required. Number with a pen.

In Acrobat move the pages into the correct position for printing.

I've had to do this before. It's a pain. It is the printers job. But we are way past that.

Make sure your client knows this is way beyond your remit. Give the printer your imposed mock up that you printed off and also have your client sign it.

I've done videos of the page order in printed sample that I made myself. If you can't physically get to the printer yourself.

Get sign off. Most important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines