Exit

Impossible to generate a PDF

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I have a heavy document (167,9 Mo) and impossible to generate a PDF

Do you think this deals with the size of the document ?

If not, any idea to solve the problem ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Emma

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Hi @Emmanuelle15C2,

Can you provide more information on what do you mean by "impossible to generate a PDF"? Is it slow? Does it error out? I have exported pdf of documents this size, so size may be a factor for speed but won't stop the export. You could try exporting the pdf as a bunch of pages and see if some particular page/pages are causing the issues.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Ce que propose Manan, c'est d'exporter le fichier moitié par moitié pour identifier l'origine du problème : si la première moitié s'exporte corectement, le problème se situe dans la seconde moitié, etc. Mais là, visiblement, le problème se situe sur la page 171. Il suffit de supprimer une par une les images se trouvant sur cette page pour voir laquelle bloque l'export. Ce peut être un nom de fichier problématique, une image se trouvant sur un dossier verrouillé en lecture…

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Emmanuelle15C2,

Can you provide more information on what do you mean by "impossible to generate a PDF"? Is it slow? Does it error out? I have exported pdf of documents this size, so size may be a factor for speed but won't stop the export. You could try exporting the pdf as a bunch of pages and see if some particular page/pages are causing the issues.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message says"impossible to export the PDF file".

When it arrives at the page 171 of my document, the error message occurs.

But befor its not slow.

What do you mean to export the pdf" as a bunch of pages " ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not generate an Assembly of the document. the error emssage says "Indesign did not succeed to assembly the documents - Impossible to make a copy of the necessary file" (or something like that I translate from French).

This is my dissertation diploma that I have to deliver in PDF format by the end of the coming week .. so it's quite an urgent matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ce que propose Manan, c'est d'exporter le fichier moitié par moitié pour identifier l'origine du problème : si la première moitié s'exporte corectement, le problème se situe dans la seconde moitié, etc. Mais là, visiblement, le problème se situe sur la page 171. Il suffit de supprimer une par une les images se trouvant sur cette page pour voir laquelle bloque l'export. Ce peut être un nom de fichier problématique, une image se trouvant sur un dossier verrouillé en lecture…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oui, c'est ca. 
J'ai trouvé. Quand il indique probleme sur la double page 170-171, en fait le probleme vient de la page 169.

J'avais 6 pages qui posent problème. maintenant j'ai 9 photos par page, je dois encore investiguer la ou lesquelles posent problème

Merci à vous

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any video in the file? If so, it should be compressed using Handbrake or other utiltiy. Also, can you publish this instead via Publish Online?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I have no video 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the previous posts and suggest that you export out different page ranges until you find the problem page. Then try removing different elements from that page and exporting to identify the problem element.

If, however, the problem is just the sheer size of your final PDF, then I have another suggestion. Export out different page ranges from InDesign as separate PDFs. Then combine those PDFs into a single PDF in a program like Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the origin of the problems 

6 pages are wrong. I need to investigate further which picture causes the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent. Getting closer 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines