Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In design File corrupted

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I worked for more than a year on a book, and I recently saw the file is corrupted, when I click on "open anyway" Adobe Indesign shut down. 

I tried to contact support, and in literraly 2 minutes after receiving the file, I got this answer : 

Kartikey Seth <kseth@adobe.com>
Mer 22/04/2020 11:26

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your file with us! Unfortunately, the file is irreparable.

To prevent such file issues in future, please refer to this handy article on Identify and troubleshoot file issues.

I'm so mad, it work normally for over a year, and it broke like that.

Please help me find a real solution to save my file.

All the best,

Dan

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Operating System are you using? Do you not backup your files? 

Windows has a backup feature - if you have it turned on - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17119/windows-7-recover-lost-deleted-files

And Mac - unless you were using Time Machine you may have to invest in a 3rd Party app to restore old files - any ones I tried have to be paid for and the trial doesn't cover what you need. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Eugene,

Thank you for your reply.

My system is : Windows 10 Family

What do you mean by back up my file? I do off course, and what is trange is that I can't open my files back up for one year, something like 5 previous version, I can open the 6th one which is old and on wich I would have to work a lot again on it...

What can I do please?

Thank you ,

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who did you send your file to? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html#need_help

There's an email address there.

Can you share the files with us?

In the links I sent previously - there's a link to how to restore files on Windows 10 - you might be able to revert to a previous save and save your work.

By backups I generally mean saved to an external drive or backed up to the cloud. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked help to : idfile@adobe.com  and I was contacted to some people from Adobe recovery service.

How can I send you the file, to which mail? it's quite heavy, I will have to use We transfer.

I have back up on external disks yes, I'm going to check that.

What I don't understand is that the 5 last version I kept on my laptop cannot be opened, while they were all working for one year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the backup files  I did on my external drive but I cant' open them either.

First, Adobe indesign call my files "Without name" but they have a name in fact obviously

Secondly, "Wihout name (Sans titre en frençais) is may be damage, do you still want to open it?" And when I click yes, it closes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Eugene,

So what else can I do to solve my problem please?

Thank you,

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had saved the file in OneDrive or Dropbox, you'd have incremental versions saved automatically. Beyond that..without a backup, you could try Markzware's recovery service: https://markzware.com/products/file-recovery-service/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

what's the exact version of InDesign you last opened and saved the document with?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Before it crashed, il was saved with Adobe Indesign 2019, and 2 weeks ago, when the problem happen, I opened it with 2019 as well but didn't work.

Then I downloaded 2020 last available version, but I still can't open it...

Thank you,

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the file and assets via Dropbox or your CC account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rob,

What is assets and CC acount?

I can send the file via Wetransfer, but on which mail please?

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assets would be the links and fonts used in the layout. If you move the files into your Creative Cloud Files folder, which is in your computer’s user folder it will sync to your Adobe cloud account. Log in to you web account and can get the link for sharing. Just post the link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open your CC app and click the Cloud icon

Screen Shot 7.png

That opens your Adobe Cloud account in a web browser where you can get the link for a folder:

Screen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have a link. Where should I post it for you please? Is there a private place I can use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just post it here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So everybody can access it? If that the case, I would prefer to delete it after your download. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't open your file, same problem. But it is quite heavy, have you embedded links? How many pages is there in this document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have maily links to pictures that were on my laptop, and to few external websites.

The document has 170 pages.

This is what I need to produce, a travel book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forcing a conversion into an older version of InDesign will sometimes fix corrupted files, but the conversion fails at around the 33% mark. You could try that with some of your recent backups, but it’s not looking good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rob.

Can you please detail what I should do to "Force a conversion into an older version of InDesign"?

I don't understand what I did wrong with my file... And I need to redo it all, but I don't want to do the same mistake. Do I need to compress my images (Compressed for the web setting from Photoshop for example?)

I do need to have this 170 pages, does it have an impact?

I really don't want to start it all again... and with chance that it happe,s again 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file you posted is a 2020CC file, if you try open it in an earlier InDesign version (you can still install CC2019) InDesign will attempt to convert the file to the older version. It’s a long shot, but I have successfully done it in the past. If all of your backups are corrupted, it seems like you have a disk or system problem.

Bob‘s Markzware suggestion would be worth trying.

You don’t have to compress linked images, I would suggest .PSDs for images. If you are getting images from unknown sources, resave them from Photoshop as .psd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried ton convert your file in a previous version: same result, conversion stops at 33%. I am afraid that the only solution is to find a backup that opens properly.

BTW, it seems that your native language is French (as me). If you prefer, you also ask me some questions in French.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J'ai une sauvegarde mais elle date d'un an... Je suis dégouté... Je vais devoir tout recommencé alors.

Comment puis je savoir si j'ai un problème de disque ou système? J'utilise photoshop et Premier sans difficulté. Si cela arrivait encore, ce serait trop ^^'

La solution Markzware est cher quand même... et j'ai dû mal à comprendre ce qu'il peuvent faire de plus par rapport aux gens d'Adobe.

Merci bien pour votre aide.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines