Highlighted

In design File corrupted

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I worked for more than a year on a book, and I recently saw the file is corrupted, when I click on "open anyway" Adobe Indesign shut down. 

I tried to contact support, and in literraly 2 minutes after receiving the file, I got this answer : 

Kartikey Seth <kseth@adobe.com>
Mer 22/04/2020 11:26

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your file with us! Unfortunately, the file is irreparable.

To prevent such file issues in future, please refer to this handy article on Identify and troubleshoot file issues.

I'm so mad, it work normally for over a year, and it broke like that.

Please help me find a real solution to save my file.

All the best,

Dan

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

In design File corrupted

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I worked for more than a year on a book, and I recently saw the file is corrupted, when I click on "open anyway" Adobe Indesign shut down. 

I tried to contact support, and in literraly 2 minutes after receiving the file, I got this answer : 

Kartikey Seth <kseth@adobe.com>
Mer 22/04/2020 11:26

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your file with us! Unfortunately, the file is irreparable.

To prevent such file issues in future, please refer to this handy article on Identify and troubleshoot file issues.

I'm so mad, it work normally for over a year, and it broke like that.

Please help me find a real solution to save my file.

All the best,

Dan

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Operating System are you using? Do you not backup your files? 

Windows has a backup feature - if you have it turned on - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17119/windows-7-recover-lost-deleted-files

And Mac - unless you were using Time Machine you may have to invest in a 3rd Party app to restore old files - any ones I tried have to be paid for and the trial doesn't cover what you need. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Eugene,

Thank you for your reply.

My system is : Windows 10 Family

What do you mean by back up my file? I do off course, and what is trange is that I can't open my files back up for one year, something like 5 previous version, I can open the 6th one which is old and on wich I would have to work a lot again on it...

What can I do please?

Thank you ,

Dan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 0
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who did you send your file to? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html#need_help

There's an email address there.

Can you share the files with us?

In the links I sent previously - there's a link to how to restore files on Windows 10 - you might be able to revert to a previous save and save your work.

By backups I generally mean saved to an external drive or backed up to the cloud. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked help to : idfile@adobe.com  and I was contacted to some people from Adobe recovery service.

How can I send you the file, to which mail? it's quite heavy, I will have to use We transfer.

I have back up on external disks yes, I'm going to check that.

What I don't understand is that the 5 last version I kept on my laptop cannot be opened, while they were all working for one year.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the backup files  I did on my external drive but I cant' open them either.

First, Adobe indesign call my files "Without name" but they have a name in fact obviously

Secondly, "Wihout name (Sans titre en frençais) is may be damage, do you still want to open it?" And when I click yes, it closes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Eugene,

So what else can I do to solve my problem please?

Thank you,

Dan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had saved the file in OneDrive or Dropbox, you'd have incremental versions saved automatically. Beyond that..without a backup, you could try Markzware's recovery service: https://markzware.com/products/file-recovery-service/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 0
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

what's the exact version of InDesign you last opened and saved the document with?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Before it crashed, il was saved with Adobe Indesign 2019, and 2 weeks ago, when the problem happen, I opened it with 2019 as well but didn't work.

Then I downloaded 2020 last available version, but I still can't open it...

Thank you,

Dan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the file and assets via Dropbox or your CC account?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rob,

What is assets and CC acount?

I can send the file via Wetransfer, but on which mail please?

Thank you,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assets would be the links and fonts used in the layout. If you move the files into your Creative Cloud Files folder, which is in your computer’s user folder it will sync to your Adobe cloud account. Log in to you web account and can get the link for sharing. Just post the link

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open your CC app and click the Cloud icon

Screen Shot 7.png

That opens your Adobe Cloud account in a web browser where you can get the link for a folder:

Screen Shot 8.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have a link. Where should I post it for you please? Is there a private place I can use?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just post it here

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So everybody can access it? If that the case, I would prefer to delete it after your download. Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't open your file, same problem. But it is quite heavy, have you embedded links? How many pages is there in this document?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have maily links to pictures that were on my laptop, and to few external websites.

The document has 170 pages.

This is what I need to produce, a travel book.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forcing a conversion into an older version of InDesign will sometimes fix corrupted files, but the conversion fails at around the 33% mark. You could try that with some of your recent backups, but it’s not looking good.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rob.

Can you please detail what I should do to "Force a conversion into an older version of InDesign"?

I don't understand what I did wrong with my file... And I need to redo it all, but I don't want to do the same mistake. Do I need to compress my images (Compressed for the web setting from Photoshop for example?)

I do need to have this 170 pages, does it have an impact?

I really don't want to start it all again... and with chance that it happe,s again 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file you posted is a 2020CC file, if you try open it in an earlier InDesign version (you can still install CC2019) InDesign will attempt to convert the file to the older version. It’s a long shot, but I have successfully done it in the past. If all of your backups are corrupted, it seems like you have a disk or system problem.

Bob‘s Markzware suggestion would be worth trying.

You don’t have to compress linked images, I would suggest .PSDs for images. If you are getting images from unknown sources, resave them from Photoshop as .psd.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried ton convert your file in a previous version: same result, conversion stops at 33%. I am afraid that the only solution is to find a backup that opens properly.

BTW, it seems that your native language is French (as me). If you prefer, you also ask me some questions in French.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J'ai une sauvegarde mais elle date d'un an... Je suis dégouté... Je vais devoir tout recommencé alors.

Comment puis je savoir si j'ai un problème de disque ou système? J'utilise photoshop et Premier sans difficulté. Si cela arrivait encore, ce serait trop ^^'

La solution Markzware est cher quand même... et j'ai dû mal à comprendre ce qu'il peuvent faire de plus par rapport aux gens d'Adobe.

Merci bien pour votre aide.

Dan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Une sauvegarde qui date d'un an ? Bon… Ça doit être assez difficile comme ça, je ne vais pas en rajouter.

La solution Markzware est cher quand même...

Si ça peut permettre de récupérer un an de travail, je ne trouve pas…

Si vous pouvez ouvrir votre sauvegarde et faire une capture d'écran du panneau liens, j'aimerais la voir. Vous avez écrit tout à l'heure que certaines des images pointaient vers des sites web. Je ne suis pas certain de comprendre

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dann59331828_0-1587660975681.png

Je n'arrive pas à ouvrir les 6 premiers documents. seulement la V2 de luin 2019.

Le fichier bizarre tout en haut peut il aider? à Supprimer par exemple?

Vous souhaitez que j'ouvre le panneau lien de version V2 que j'arrive à ouvrir?  En fait je voulais juste dire que j'ai fait des liens Hypertexte qui pointent vers des sites (très fiables)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Le fichier « bizarre » est un fichier qui se crée automatiquement quand on ouvre un fichier InDesign et qui doit disparaître quand on ferme le fichier. Dans votre cas, il ne s'est pas fermé normalement, ce qui explique la présende de ce fichieridlk, vous pouvez le supprimer.

Aucun fichier antérieur à la V2 ne s'ouvre ? C'est étrange : pour obtenir la V10, vous êtes parti de la V9, non ?

Oui, ouvrez au moins la V2

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oui je suis parti de la V9, et V8 avant,.... Ils ont tous marché un jour.

Et depuis 2 semaines, ils ne marchent tous plus sauf le vieux V2. 

Le nom n'est même pas reconnu, car j'ai le message : "Sans titre" est peut être endommagé, souhaitez vous l'ouvrir quand même?"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ce message n'est pas très important. Que se passe-t-il quand vous cliquez sur oui ? En ce qui concerne la V10, on sait que ça fait planter InDesign, mais j'ai du mal à croire que cela ait aussi un impact sur les autres fichiers.

Essayez une chose : réinitialiser les préférences. Il faut relancer l'application tout en appuyant simultanément sur Maj, Ctrl, Alt [Windows], Maj, Ctrl, Alt et Cmd [Mac] jusqu'à l'apparition du message demandant confirmation.

Une fois que vous aurez eu ce message, et qu'InDesign sera reparti, essayez d'ouvrir la V9.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J'ai réussi à réinitialiser les préférences, puis j'ai ouvert la V9 mais cela à bloquer à 80% 😞

dann59331828_0-1587663379564.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J'ai réinitiliser en ouvrant indesign 2019 et quand j'ouvre j'ai:

dann59331828_0-1587663516889.png

En général, quand je clique sur lancer la récupération cela plante.

Que dois je plutôt faire?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alors, il faut essayer avec la précédente…

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Malheureusement cela plante aussi quand je clique sur ok...

dann59331828_0-1587663954723.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dann59331828_0-1587660975681.png

Hi Dan,

turn on the view of file suffixes in your file system, the Windows Explorer, then you'll see that the "weird" file with the tilde is an idlk file. A remnant of one of your crashes maybe, a file that usually indicates that an InDesign document is open. Should have vanished if you close the document, but for some reasons it was not.

Move that idlk file out of the folder and try to open your W2T_eBOOK_148X210_22.04.2019.indd again.

FWIW: Seems that your posted link to the document is not valid anymore.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Uwe!

I cut the file in another folder but I have the same result:

dann59331828_0-1587665492974.png

"Sans titre" means no name

I deleted the file yes from the link but I can redo it for you, no problem.

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might help if you shared the entire directory, but it’s not looking very promising. Markzware also makes a PDF to InDesign converter.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Dan,

as I told you in French, this warning message does not mean that you will not be able to open the file. It appears when InDesign has crashed but there is a chance that you can open the file successfully.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rob and JM,

I made the update of Indesign recently (after the crash), but I still have 2019 version on my computer, is it normal to have it both? The new one should replace the old one?

I will try to forward the full directory if that can help.

Thank you,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

It's up to you: you can either choose to keep the previous version or to delete it when you upgrade to a new one, so it is not a problem to have both 2019 and 2020.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0