• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Including a Caption into a Button’s Normal State Problems

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am taking the Interactive Documents Class in LinkedIn with Mike Rankin. I am trying desperately to drag a caption via the Layers Panel into the normal state of a graphic that has been converted into a button.. it just does not work. Could it be that I do not have nested layers? If that is why it is not working (the tutorial has all the buttons nested within a layer called buttons) is there a tutorial somewhere about how to next buttons? Thank you for your help.

Elizabeth

TOPICS
How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Hi Elizabeth,

One can do what you want. Unfortunately the Button Panel has no function to add a selection to states.

Using the Layers panel seems to be the only chance to do that.

To do that successfully select the item you want to add in the Layers panel and drag it to the bottom of the [Normal] state.

That's very important. You first have to use the bottom of the [Normal] as target. If you successfully dragged it in you can change the stacking order by dragging it upward.

From my German In

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For interactive PDFs don't use Flash based features as they are now obsolete. For linking pages and external websites use simple hyperlinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please reread the question. but thank you for your efforts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're trying to produce a roll-over button, they will not work in many devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post a screen capture of your layers panel. If you do could you expand all of the contents of the button like I have in this graphic.

layers.png

Have you locked any layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand what you're trying to do... in order to put something in the Normal state of a button (or any state), select the state, click the object frame to make sure just that state is selected, and use the Edit > Paste Into (assuming your caption is in your clipboard). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elizabeth,

One can do what you want. Unfortunately the Button Panel has no function to add a selection to states.

Using the Layers panel seems to be the only chance to do that.

To do that successfully select the item you want to add in the Layers panel and drag it to the bottom of the [Normal] state.

That's very important. You first have to use the bottom of the [Normal] as target. If you successfully dragged it in you can change the stacking order by dragging it upward.

From my German InDesign:

DragObjectToNormalStateOfButton-1.PNG

While dragging the target is indicated by a thick line:

DragObjectToNormalStateOfButton-2.png

Now the object is at the bottom of the [Normal] state:

DragObjectToNormalStateOfButton-3.png

Dragging it up inside that state is no problem:

DragObjectToNormalStateOfButton-4.png

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks so much I was having a hard time getting it to indent but I guess dragging it one layer too low and than dragging it up is the answer. I will try that. Thank you very much.

Elizabeth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines