• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Including character styles in Paragraph styles

Participant ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In paragraph styles you used to be able to specify a character style, but that option has now seemed to have disappeared. What happened?

Using InDesign CC 14.0 2019 on Windows 10 Pro

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you’re thinking about nested styles and nothing’s changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Within a paragraph style, you can specify character styles in the following ways:

• Drop Cap
  • Nested Style
  • Nested Line Style
  • GREP Style

I might be forgetting a few but those are the main areas I think. As Bob pointed out, nothing has changed in CC 2019 or then last bunch of versions for that matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be crazy, but I could have sworn that in the "General" paragraph style screen there was a field where you could designate a character style. Oh well. Thanks for the responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. You could in QuarkXPress but not in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm not crazy. Used Quark for years before switching (out of necessity). Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YES. Thank goodness. I'm not crazy either. It must be older/quark transition versions that based paragraph styles on character styles. I'm having exactly the same issue. Looks like I'll be rebuilding based on paragraph styles instead of character styles, becuase the two don't connect anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines