• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inconsistent "left justify/ragged right"

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After placing text using copy/paste from a MS Word doc and applying my main body text style, most of the paragraphs are properly left justified/ragged right and use all the space to the right margins of each page. However, a significant number fall short (i.e., several paragraphs on each page end the right line far short of the right margin). I understand this would happen if the line contained a long word since I have hyphenation turned off, however, that is not the case with these. I thought there might be some hidden formatting from the MS Word doc, so experimented with copying and "paste special" into a new Word doc to clear any styles, but to no avail. This must be a bug. Has anyone seen it or know how to correct?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Check your Paragraph attributes, and uncheck Balance Ragged Lines

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your Paragraph attributes, and uncheck Balance Ragged Lines

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SJRiegel, thank you so much! Your solution resolved the issue. I didn't want to stop working so I just placed all my text and was afraid I would have to re-do everything to resolve this issue (I'm pretty new to ID). I'm so happy to know about this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the problem paragraphs, when you have inserted your Type tool into the text, does InDesign show a + sign next to the paragraph style name? If so, remove the offending overrides. There is a button for that at the bottom of the paragraph styles panel.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This wasn't the solution, but I certainly appreciate your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also the Paragraph Composer you choose either from the Paragraph flyout menu or the Justification settings would affect the line breaks. Here from left to right is Adobe Paragraph Composer, Adobe Paragraph Composer with Balance Ragged, and Adobe Single Line Composer:

Screen Shot 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't used ID for a few years and have forgotten so much. Now I'm using the CC version, which is also different. I'm afraid I don't understand your answer. Thankfully, de-selecting the "Balance Ragged Lines" tip worked beautifully and I'm sure, as I get more proficient, I will someday get it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can set the Composer from the Paragraph panel Paragraph Composer considers the entire paragraph when making the breaks, Single-line handles the breaks line by line. For a Paragraph Style, the Composer is saved in the Justification settings, which also affect line breaks.

Screen Shot 21.png

Screen Shot 23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines