• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inconsistent spaces between words

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m currently designing a book cover and the spacing between the words are inconsistent. Some spaces are big, others are smaller. The paragraph justification is left aligned and I’m not quite sure how to fix this. Please can someone advise?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

you need to adjust your justification settings:

for eg

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 13.00.13.jpg

until it looks good.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen shot showing exactly what is happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

Please see a screenshot of the issue

Adobe spacing 2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SHow us a screenshot from the paragraph settings in the section Justification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the screenshots of the actual issue and the paragraph setting Adobe spacing 1.PNGAdobe spacing 2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not "left aligned", that is fully justified -- more likely, "Left Justify" in your Paragraph Style definition; all lines are justified except for the last, which is left. That's why there also are options named "Centre Justify" and "Right Justify". The Control Panel shows more proper descriptions in the tooltips for the various options: "Justify with last line aligned left" for what you probably have now, vs. "Align left" for what you describe you want.

It has nothing to do with the Justification settings and this problem will disappear if you use plain "Left" as alignment in the Indents .& Spacing part of your style, or if you did not use styles, click the correct button in your Control panel:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just changed it to 'left align' (see screeshot below) and whilst the spacing is fine, i dont want everything to be pushed onto the left. How can i keep the spacing below without everything being left aligned?

i checked my indents and spacing settings and it is on left (see screenshot)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you need to adjust your justification settings:

for eg

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 13.00.13.jpg

until it looks good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it looks great now, i changed it to the above, thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reneg1926  wrote

i just changed it to 'left align' (see screeshot below) and whilst the spacing is fine, i dont want everything to be pushed onto the left. How can i keep the spacing below without everything being left aligned?

You'd probably better re-think what you want. Your specifications so far: what you want is the same space width (and probably the same text size as well) but also lines of the same length. That sounds pretty much impossible.

If you don't mind changing the text size to fit the width, as per the "BLACK AND GREAT" line, then you must do so manually; there is no function in InDesign to do so. You cannot select entire lines, though, because if you change the font size then the spaces scale along, and you don't want that. So you need to select each word in turn and set it to the same size, until the lines are filled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it wasnt impossible, i just received the correct instructions from GrantH​. Nothing further needed from you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines